Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Issues

• Please log in to reply

Shells

Shells

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have looked everywhere, tried everything short of reinstalling windows, and nothing seems to work for me.

A couple months ago, I used my computer one evening. Nothing was wrong, everything was working just fine.
The next day I had no sound.
In an attempt to play some music using Windows media player, I found this out.
I select a song from the library, it takes a moment to load it, then a red x appears next to the title and continues down the song lists for about 5 songs, and an error message pops up.
"Windows Media Player cannot play sound file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."
I checked all connections, tried other programs, everything was connected, nothing else would play sound. I tried another speaker system, that didn't work either.
So I bought a new sound card. I disabled the on-board sound, installed the new card, and that still didn't help.
If I go to the Device Manager and check the sound card through that, it states that the device is working properly. However, if I click on properties, it states the driver is enabled but has not been started. It states that for Audio, MIDI and Sound Mixer.

When I attempt to play computer games, like for example, The Sims 2, it plays fine, but has no sound. And the audio options are grayed out or unselectable.
However, I can still hear the system beeps with errors and all that.

I miss my downloaded music, I miss my in-game sounds. Geez, I even miss the stupid beeps and noises of basic programs on the computer! :)

I also seem to be having a problem with updates to my computer. I have it set for automatic. Occasionally it will download an update, but it won't install. And when I go to PC Pitstop to test my system, I get this message before I start: Attention: Your WMI Installation appears to have a problem
Our tests use Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) to gather some of the information from your system. On your system, WMI is reporting an error. This could cause certain information to be reported as blanks or zeroes. See our instructions for fixing WMI here.

So, I don't know what to do short of taking it somewhere and getting royally screwed and over-charged for them to fix the possible problem or problems they SAY it has.
Can anyone help?

Thanks. :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I am not going to argue this point so take this answer as it is.

I have had to fix dozens of customer computers that come in with no sound. What do i usually find on their computers? Limewire, E-mule, and other bit torrent software. So what do i do about the problem. I remove every downloaded music file they have on their computer. Usually this will bring back the sound. Now i usually burn the removed music to a CD or DVD so they can go thru each and every one of the songs and reinstall them one by one to see if it is the corrupted file song that causes the sound to quit.

I am not saying this is your problem, but i stay away from downloaded songs just for that reason. the RIAA and script kiddee's have been known to plant corrupted songs on these file sharing programs just to mess with peoples computers. AVOID them if you plan on keeping your computer running good for a length of time.

If this is not your problem, i apologize. My problem is i have seen way too much of this stuff. If necessary you may have to reinstall the chipset drivers for your motherboard to get the sound back. This is for Mb's that have on-board sound. I will monitor this thread and see where it goes.

SRX660

Shells

Shells

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you SRX660. Your options are completely legitimate possibilities and NOTHING I've heard yet.
However, I do have a question.
If I haven't downloaded anything new for months prior to this issue appearing, is it still a potential issue?
I honestly can't remember when I last downloaded music...it was last year, that I know. So nothing recent could have been the suspect.
Most of it is downloaded through Windows Media Player using Verizon, Napster, and one other that I don't remember at this moment.
Some of the older files were from a freeware site...I think it was WinMX. But I can't be sure. It was a long time ago that I used it.

I did attempt a chipset reinstall for my MB, and that didn't solve the problem. I was even told at one point, that I may need a new motherboard. If that's the case, then I might as well toss the computer.

I am more than willing to attempt to delete all my song files. I have burned all the downloaded stuff to a disc already. I do have a number of my own CD's stored as well. Should those go too?

Thanks. Even if it doesn't solve it, it's nice to be able to try something new. :)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Usually at the time you first play a corrupt song it immediately causes the corruption of the music player files. If you have saved the song a long time ago, it still does not matter until you play that song. Then it corrupts the files so no sound will be heard.

Like i said, i usually will burn all the music files to a CD or DVD so the customer does not get mad when i LOST all their music files. They cannot afford to pay me to find the needle in the haystack to fix their problem. Believe me, i do know about music files. I have over 60 Gigs (11,000 or so songs) of MP3's myself.

You have not mentioned if you are using on-board sound. If you really do have a hardware problem with the computer sound, you could possibly buy a creative audigy sound card to fix the problem. You will have to disable the on-board in the BIOS first, then install the audigy card.

http://www.tigerdire...mp;Sku=C44-3272

Creative has some excellent sound player/ripper software that i use quite often.

SRX660

Shells

Shells

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
All the music has been played. Numerous times. And it's not just the dl content that won't play. None of the songs I ripped from mass market cd's will play either.
I will attempt to delete all of my music files perhaps tomorrow night after work and see what that get's me.
And I did mention if I was using on-board sound.
I said in my original post that I bought a new soundcard and disabled the onboard and installed it. It's a Dynex from Best Buy. It's the second one I bought. The first was a rebuilt one from Dell (as that's my computer). It didn't fix the problem so I sent it back and bought the brand new one.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have reread your first post. Please go to your services in control panel, and make sure you have the windows audio set to started and automatic. Also check to see if plug and play is also set to "started and automatic". Perhaps when you changed the sound card windows set these differently. If you do need to change these check afterwards to see if the sound works now.You can right click on the service to bring it up in its own window to change the settings.

SRX660

Shells

Shells

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok. I've gone through and checked everything. I've removed all songs from my computer.
When I go to Control Panel/Services/Windows Audio it states it's started. But just to be sure, I clicked on start. It attempts to start, then an error message pops up: Could not start the Application Management Service on Local Computer. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified. But when I go back to it, it's started.

So when I go to Control Panel/Sound and Audio Devices/Hardware/Envy24 Family Audio Controller WDM, it states the device is working properly.
But, if I go to Properties, then click Audio Devices/Envy24 Family Audio Controller WDM, or MIDI Devices and Instruments/WDM-Based Device, or Mixer Devices/Envy24 Family Audio Controller WDM, all 3 in turn state- Status: Driver is enabled but has not started.

I also checked Plug n Play, it's all started as it should be.

I don't know if this could be related, but I tried to uninstall a few things. Some uninstalled just fine, but a couple gave me this error message: The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running windows in safe mode (which I am not), or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.
Thank you again for all of your help.

Edited by Shells, 22 May 2008 - 01:23 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There are only two things i can think of to do here, now.First is to reinstall the sound drivers. If that don't work it may be because of the poor sound card. I've never heard of that card, but have tried manyy different one like the cobra sound cards, and the SIS chipset sound cards. I gave up on all of them because of problems and now specifically use Creative Audigy sound cards. I have yet to have a problem with any creative card.

Beyond that the choices is to reinstall the OS( a bit drastic, me thinks), or try a different motherboard( again too drastic for me). I good sound card may be your only choice here. How much time do you want to spend trying to fix the problem. At my shop i charge $40 per hour to fix computers, and lets see, i can buy a Audigy card for $30. How much time do you think i will spend troubleshooting this kind of problem.

You know how to fix your problem.

SRX660

Shells

Shells

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, I have tried two different sound cards. The first one from Dell, the second one (the one installed) is from Best Buy. I've also reinstalled the sound drivers a few times. Removed and reinstalled the card as well.
I really don't think it's the issue.
I have been told by a couple people, that it's likely my motherboard. Which, if that's the case, I might as well buy another computer. Something I really can't afford at this time.
And I'd have to take it somewhere to do that, something else I can't afford.

But thank you, for all of your help. You brought up new options and many to try. I think I'm out of luck at this point. But now I can stop searching, and save up some money to take it somewhere. (Or, I have a friend who's husband does computer stuff, he just hasn't gotten around to helping me. I'm not holding my breath. lol)

I consider the issue closed on here.