Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help with some Services

• Please log in to reply

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
OK so I had this problem with my taskbar not loading for a long while when I booted my computer, so I went on MSCONFIG and put my startup mode to Diagnostic Startup. When I rebooted, it worked. I knew that it was a corrupted Microsoft service because I re-enabled all of my Startup Programs and it still worked. Also, I enabled all of the Non-Microsoft Services that I use, such as AVG Antivirus. Finally, I enabled some Microsoft Services such as Network Connections and Windows Audio, rebooted, and it worked. Now, I enabled another couple of services and the problem came back, so I had to disable it. Im not sure what the service is, and I don't have the patience to look through all of them.

This is the link to my old thread... http://forums.techgu...cons-don-t.html

Please help. What I want to do is reset my services to default, to see if it would work. Please help.

Gracias =)

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Pill5b3rry
I notice you have joined geeku to fight malware.
If you don't have the patience to go through your own services how are you going to have the patience to go through and fix malware for someone else?
You need to go through the services 1 at a time.
Cheers
Peterm

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Yeah I joined to fight malware but then I realized that I cant keep up because I have to keep up with school. Im only fourteen, and I don't have time like that. I got regents coming up in June and I have to study.

But yeah is there a way to restore or reinstall or reset the Microsoft services.

I don't want to seem like a got an attitude, but yeah I realized that I don't have the patience for Malware Fighting cause' I got school to keep up with. I have patience, just not now. I have more *important* things to do, not that this isn't fun =)

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Yes, but as peterm says, you'll need to do so one at a time.
2 great info sites: Black Viper and Elder Geek.

First 2 are Black Viper:

SP2 page (cached): http://www.codecaval.../servicecfg.htm
SP3 page (current): http://www.blackvipe.../servicecfg.htm

Elder Geek: http://www.theelderg...vices_guide.htm

Compare and contrast to determine your needs.
First link contains handy Default setting list.

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Thanks for those pages, they seem useful and informative.

I Appreciate the help, thanks!

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I would start with the Defaults, and then make changes one at a time so you know what did what. Manual is the safe setting. That allows Windows to start the Service if needed, but prevents it from auto-starting with the OS.

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Ok thanks. I fixed all my problems with the services.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Good news! :-)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
What was it please - if you post your fix then others learn
Cheers
peterm

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
OK sure.

The first thing I did was go to Start>Run>MSCONFIG

In here, I click on Diagnostic Startup instead of Normal Startup. This is the same thing as Safe Mode except that your screen resolution doesn't change or anything.

After, I rebooted, and it worked.

So I enabled all of my Startup Items, rebooted, and my computer still worked fine. The taskbar was loading fine and everything.

Afterwards I enabled some of the other essential Microsoft services such as Network Connections and Windows Audio.

I did this one at a time.

I continued to enable some Services but when I enable the Windows Firewall Service, the problem came back. My taskbar wasn't loading.

So I went and disabled the Firewall Service and used the Dial-A-Fix tool to reinstall the Windows Firewall, as well as many other things like Automatic Updates and System Restore.

I rebooted and all was fine. I continued enabling all the services needed and everything worked out well.

Finally, I used Advanced Windows Care Beta 3 to Automatically Configure all my Services to how they should be.

By the way, Advanced Windows Care Beta 3 is a great tool to Optimize your system to its best. Best of all, its free.

Also, don't use MSCONFIG to enable or disable any services, as it doesn't register well. Instead, use Services.msc

Well thats about it. I hope this helps anybody else with similar problems.

You can download Advanced Windows Care Beta 3 at iobit.com

Edited by PILL5B3RRY, 17 May 2008 - 06:35 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
well done :)

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Thanks