Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help please?

• Please log in to reply

Toonsquad

Toonsquad

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well.. long story short...
(First time changing a CPu)
i bought a new CPU
tried replacing my old one only to realise i had bought a CPU that didnt fit my socket (939(bought AM2))
tried putting my old CPU back in... without pulling the bar up and back down to secure it
broke my CPU fan while i was at it :@
computer came on... but no signal from monitor.

noticed the bar... tried pulling the bar up then placing in and then pulling the bar down... still no result

i'm not sure if ive killed my motherboard or CPU.. or even BOTH?!?! :)

Advertisements

XBoy

XBoy

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, chances are that you have damaged your Processor or Motherboard or may be both. If you see nothing on monitor when you trun it on that means you are in trouble. I would suggest you to go to a technician who can check it.

Edited by XBoy, 16 May 2008 - 05:39 PM.

Toonsquad

Toonsquad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
all i see is "No Signal"

XBoy

XBoy

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
You've got to check your mother board man.

Toonsquad

Toonsquad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
how do i check it? i cant tell whether its a problem with the processor or motherboard... or even both

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Toonsquad...

When you had the processor out, did you replace the thermal paste between the processor and the cooler? An overheated processor will sure cause the problem. You might also check the processor for bent or broken pins...that would also cause these symptoms.

The CPU fan is pretty critical to keeping the processor in the operating range. I hope you got that fixed... :)

wannabe1

Toonsquad

Toonsquad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
there is still thermal paste there but not much... there were some pins bent but i put them back straight...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

there is still thermal paste there but not much... there were some pins bent but i put them back straight...

Pins have to be straight enough to land in the holes.
Take the heatink and fan back off. If you can rock the processor its not seated properly, so check those pins again. If a processor isn't seated properly in the ZIF socket (the white squre bit) the board just sits there doing nothing.