Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE can someone help?

• Please log in to reply

mofofunk

mofofunk

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all. This my first post, so please be gentle :) . I have just ordered all the stuff to do my 2nd computer build. I'm no expert at this by any means so would just like you to take a quick look at what I'm putting together to see if you can spot any problems with it. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Hard drives
1. (Master)Seagate ST380815AS 80GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 8MB Cache - OEM
2. (Slave) Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache – OEM

Graphics card
BFG 9600GT OC2 512MB Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E

Motherboard
ASUS M3A 770 Socket AM2+ 8 channel audio ATX

O/S
Windows XP PRO with SP2

RAM
Patriot Extreme Performance Viper Series 4GB 2 x 2GB DDR2 PC2-8500 1066Mhz (4GB total)

Processor
AMD Phenom 9750 Socket AM2+ 2.4GHz 4MB L2 Cache

DVD writer
Optiarc AD-7191S 20X DVD±RW/DL/RAM LightScribe Serial ATA Black Bare Drive – OEM

PSU
550W ATX Silent Neon PSU - 12cm Fan/PPFC (already using this in current system) OR there is 450W one with the case (you think 450W will be enough to power all this?)

Case
ANTEC RACK CASE TAKE 3 450W 3U Rackmount Case - Low Noise

Soundcard
EMU 0404

Wireless network card
ASUS - not sure of spec

Hope you can help - thanks for your time.

Ash

Edited by mofofunk, 17 May 2008 - 07:55 AM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

1) Don't use either of those power supplies. If you need help picking out a quality unit I would be glad to help.

2) You have selected a rackmount case and a ATX board. Rackmount cases are for business oriented servers and will not fit an ATX board. Their form factor is measured in "units" or one space on a rack expressed as 3U for example.

3) With SATA drives there is no master or slave. They can all coexist in harmony without needing jumpers etc.

Edited by Titan8990, 17 May 2008 - 10:22 AM.

mofofunk

mofofunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Thanks for replying. I realise i have chosen a rack mounted case, this was intentional. After reading a whole article on 'creating a PC for music tech" and hearing of the benefits of these cases being almost silent, I am quite sure this board should fit in the case See Rack mounting your PC scroll down to Identify Your Motherboard section. This rack mounted case is specifically designed to be used for a Audio/Music PC rather than a bussiness server. 3u's is a small amount for it to take up on my rack and should be big enough to get most PCIe cards in. As far as the PSU goes, it is specially designed for this case as it is mounted at the front of the case to increase airflow. Please could you tell me why it is not advisable to use either of these PSUs - is it just down to quality or do you not think they will provide enough power? Also thanks for the info on SATA Slave/Master thing, didn't realise that - Thanks

Ash