Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard randomly lags when playing any game.

• Please log in to reply

Alkamar

Alkamar

• Pip
  • 8 posts
There are many definitions to keyboard lags so I will specify and be more specific.
When I am playing ANY game on my computer, or things that run the CPU at 100% anything (including the mouse) has a delayed reaction, then once it does press the button it seems to hold it in for a period of time, such as 4 – 5 seconds.

Let me tell you, I have done everything I can. I am running out of ideas. The last thing I can think of is going on every single computer help forum I know and posting this question.
I DID have ATI Tray Tools, A program that is an alternative to ATI’s Catalyst Control Center. I do have both of them running. I also recently (due to reading some threads) uninstalled ATI Tray Tools. Problem still persists. I have reinstalled my Keyboard drivers, mouse drivers, video drivers, and reset ATI Catalyst to factoring settings, I’ve turned off the AGP speed (just to see what would happen) and it still persists.
Now you probably are saying “AGP? How old is this computer?” The specifications of this computer are listed below:

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Computer:
Intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 2.66GHz
2.66 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Video Specs:
ATI Radeon 9600
AGP 8X
256 MB
DDR
Core Clock: 324 MHz

Keyboard:
Microsoft Natural® MultiMedia Keyboard 1.0A

Mouse:
Logitech UltraX Optical USB Mouse

I can’t give you the exact specs of the motherboard but it is an IBM Think Centre. The BIOS was updated like only 6 - 7 Months ago (Basically when I first installed the system), and the last update was in like 2005 – 2006. Anyway, I am pulling hairs out on this and I really need any suggestion you can throw at me and I will do it. The computer was doing fine for months. And it just started going downhill…

So to sum it up: keyboard and mouse randomly freeze in any game that uses the CPU up to 100%. I need any help I can get.

Thank you.

PS I have attached a Hijack This log to the post. If you need it.

Attached Files

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you probably have to many things running at start up and you are running out of resources...so ...

go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...

the next thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit

To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, index.dat etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you...Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Click on CCleaner to start it....
Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

next get diskeeper lite here...

after installing it...click on the icon...close the "nag" screen...click on your c drive to select it ...then down towards the bottom ...click on defragment now...first time you use it it may take 15 to 30 minutes to complete...do it about every two weeks and it will complete in about 7 minutes...
reboot and tell me hows its running...