Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad Hard Disk?

• Please log in to reply

andrewreturned

andrewreturned

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I had just woken up and decided to go on the computer, but after a few minutes the computer basically couldn't run anything. I reset the computer and I got this message:

Sec Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace

I have no idea what this means. All I know is that there is something definitely wrong with the computer. It's acting strangely slow and I have to use my extra computer to type this down.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Your hard drive is dying , or is already dead from what you are saying. you will need to replace the drive. I hope your computer is still under warranty. If not you will need a recovery or windows CD to reinstall XP on the new hard drive. I also hope you have a backup of any files you did not want to lose.

SRX660

andrewreturned

andrewreturned

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I found out that the expired hard drive have a secondary 6 GB drive that i didn't even know existed until now. I removed the drive, but the message keeps coming back. Also I think this may be irrelevant from the drive, but lately my computer has begun to periodically freeze. It's not too big of a problem, but I'd like to know if there are any methods to stop this freezing from occurring.