Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking Problem

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Okay so I have the Gigabyte P35C-DS3R mobo and an Intel E6750 CPU. I think I have the Zalman 9700 cooler but Im not entirely sure. Anyways Im having a problem overclocking, I get my FSB to go from 333 to 340 and then after that it just wont go, I input the numbers, I save and then my computer just goes on, and off repeatedly. I have raised the voltage and everythng and I cant figure out why it doesnt work. Please help.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Does your power supply have the juice to supply your components with this extra power?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Overclocking a CPU (especially just a 7mhz FSB increase) won't stress the PSU enough to go from working perfectly to not booting.

What RAM do you have and what FSB:RAM ratio are you running? On a RAM-linked board such as yours, the speed your CPU can obtain also depends largely on the RAM and the FSB:RAM ratio it is set at. With a FSB of 1333mhz, and a board that supports DDR2 (which usually comes in 533mhz, 667mhz, 800mhz or 1066mhz), this can cause problems if the FSB:RAM ratio is set too close to 1:1, as the RAM typically won't be able to keep up with the FSB.

Edited by stettybet0, 17 May 2008 - 10:27 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Overclocking a CPU (especially just a 7mhz FSB increase) won't stress the PSU enough to go from working perfectly to not booting.

If the PSU is already at its limit, increasing voltages can.

Adding to what Stettybet0 said, a 1:1 RAM:FSB ratio will clock your RAM at 667Mhz. If you have 800Mhz RAM it can be good to underclock it as such and then clock it back via changes to FSB. Therefore if you overclock your FSB to 400 and set your FSB:RAM to 1:1 you will have 3.2ghz CPU speed and 800Mhz RAM.

There is performance to be gained from setting your RAM:FSB ratio to 1:1.

Edited by Titan8990, 17 May 2008 - 11:01 AM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I have 800 Mhz RAM. Its's G.Skill and Ive read multiple reviews saying it's very good at overclocking. One person said they got it to go from 800 to 1100. So I dont think its a problem. I completely forgot about FSB:RAM ratio anyways so thanks for reminding me but I still dont think that is the problem. And my PSU has quite enough power. It's 850 watts.

Edit: Maybe I should try and up the voltage on my RAM.

Edited by Drumbum667, 17 May 2008 - 02:26 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Well changing the RAM voltage didnt help. I still can only get it to boot at 340 Mhz. I cant figure this out.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Can we see a link to the RAM you have?

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231065

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Very nice RAM. Your voltage should set to 2.1 or +.3. Also you should look into adjusting your timings as defaults usually are not as tight as the RAM you have selected has.

Edited by Titan8990, 18 May 2008 - 11:13 AM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Okay Ill change the voltage, I had it at +.1, maybe that will help, and I have manually set the timings. Okay so Ill see if that works. Ill get back to you. Well that didnt work. This is really frustrating.

Edited by Drumbum667, 18 May 2008 - 11:53 AM.

Advertisements

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I was reading up and found out thta this problem is more common than I thought. It seems that it's a mobo problem. I guess Ill have to deal with no overclocking till my next build. Doesnt matter cause its fast anyways.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Just a quick note, you may want to keep the RAM voltage on the +0.3 setting, but leave the timings as default. This will give them a little more overclocking headroom.

Cheers

Troy

EDIT: With the stock cooler on mine, I have managed to get it running at 3GHz stable. That's the 8x multiplier by 375 FSB. Also I had the following settings:

C.I.A.2 - Disabled

System Memory Multiplier (SPD) - 2.00

DDR2 OverVoltage Control - +0.3V

CPU Voltage Control - 1.375V (stock is 1.35V, but Auto throws it way higher than it ever needs to be)

My system is very similar to the specs you've listed, check it out in my profile. I didn't keep the overclock running, though, because under full load the CPU would hit about mid-60s C, a little too high for my liking. Once I get an aftermarket cooler, I'll likely leave it at 3GHz permanently.

Cheers again.

Edited by troy, 22 May 2008 - 12:05 AM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
It's not anything to do with my RAM I think. Im pretty sure its just a bug in the mobo. I read up on it and its a common problem. And Im guessing that overclocking is what makes my mobo do it. But it's okay since my comp is fast enough.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
If your motherboard will only let you overclock your FSB 7mhz, might I suggest returning it and getting another one? Just because you are satisfied with your computer's speed now doesn't mean that will be the case in the future.

Though it can't hurt to at least try our suggestions first, before dismissing an entire line of well-selling, popular motherboards as "bugged".

In addition to trying what Troy suggested, have you tried updating the motherboard's BIOS? Often this can fix overclocking issues. For example, my 680i seemingly hit an FSB wall like you've described at 400mhz with my E6750 (3.2ghz). After updating the BIOS, however, I've now been able to get it up to 500mhz (E6750 @ 4.0ghz), and could still go higher if my CPU wasn't so close to frying at this point (it's on air)...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm going to have to agree with steettybet0, the PSU will not be the issue as we aren't even stressing the computer if it will not post.

Do the following.
1. Update your BIOS like stettybet0 said, I know there was a stability issues with these boards before BIOS version F4.
2. Do the following adjustments within your BIOS.
C.I.A.2 - Disabled
Enhanced Speed Step - Disable
C1E(Enhanced Halt State) -Disable
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) - 2.00
DDR2 OverVoltage Control - +0.3V
CPU Voltage Control - 1.375V (if you don't have an aftermarket cooler, watch your temps closely)
PCI frequency - 100MHz
Loosen your timings to 5-5-5-15 (this will be fixed later)
Increase your NB voltage +0.1V

I bolded the PCI frequency simply because MANY people forget about this important detail. Failure in adjusting this setting from auto to 100MHz will result in a premature death of your video card. If this ever reaches a high enough point (it depends on the chipset), your SATA controller will go wonky as well, in a worse case scenario (data wise), you could corrupt your windows install.

Lastly, how many boot cycles did you let your computer do? Mine takes about 4 boot cycles to complete the overclocking adjustments.
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 May 2008 - 04:02 PM.