Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help cant install windows xp on new drive

• Please log in to reply

icehead14

icehead14

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey guys sorry if there is another post like this but i tried googleing it and everything i tried didnt work. so here we go. recently my hard drive on my dell xps m140 crashed so i had to buy a new one. i got a hitachi travelstar 80g. i put in the xp media center os cd(legit) and tried to install windows xp on my new hard drive. when it starts it goes to the installer and gets to the kernal debugger dll and then gives me on of two errors. both say they cant load ntkrnlmp.exe but one is error 4 and one is error 7. google said maybe bad ram or corrupt bios. so i tried running the installer after taking out one of the memory things lol sorry i dont know what to call it. and then i tried again with just the other one in. that didnt work so i tried taking out the 3v battery to reset the bios and i left it out overnight just to make sure it would work. that didnt work either. i also tried to load defaults in bios setup but i dont know how to do that cuz i have pressed enter on it and it tells me to save and exit but i cant. and nothing happens wen i hit enter on load defaults. i just ran a diagnostic with the utilities and driver cd and there were no problems with the memory or the hdd. im very confused any help would be great if you have any questions just ask im not the best with computers but i know alittle bit.

i just tried loading the defaults on the bios and it let me. now its not reading the disc at all it just says no bootlable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for set up. i have no idea wat is going on with this. thanks in advance for ur help.

o and last thing right after i loaded the defaults and tried to do the os cd it said that a .txt file was corrupt or not found. i dont remember wat the file was but i think it had install in it.

Edited by icehead14, 17 May 2008 - 01:07 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Enter the BIOS and set the CD drive to be first priority boot device. At this occasion check that the new hard disk is recognized by the BIOS.

2: It's possible that your installation CD or the CD drive are not in good condition. If you can borrow a drive from another computer replace it with the present one. If not, try to get a drive cleaner. This is a special (cheap) disk whose purpose is to clean the laser lens in the drive. To clean the CD wash it carefully with a lens-cleaning solution or in water and wipe it dry with a soft cloth of the type used to clean lenses. or with a good, old, worn T-shirt. Wipe carefully in circular motions and make sure that no fibers are left on the surface.

icehead14

icehead14

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok thanks you. i will try the first one and let u know how it goes. and it does recognize the hdd.

ok i forgot to clean it lol. it is running threw setup now. thank you very much. sometimes its a very simple thing you overlook.

Edited by icehead14, 17 May 2008 - 01:48 PM.