Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP search companion troubles

• Please log in to reply

Venomz

Venomz

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well recently I was able to rid my computer of some troublesome malware via combo fix and it has my computer running almost like new. However now that i am virus/trojan/malway/spyware free i would like to focus on one last issue. I am having some trouble with the Windows XP home edition SP2 search companion. The problem is that although i can open the search function, in no way is it possible to operate the search ability (A picture of what it looks like below).

Posted Image

Anyway, I have tried the following run commands in an attempt to re-register the search companion: regsvr32 jscript.dll, regsvr32 jscript.dll, and regsvr32 /i C:\windows\srchasst\srchui.dll. I haven't had any success because the regsvr32 jscript.dll gives me a long error, which i have found out means i don't have permissions to do that. However, I am logged onto the admin account, as well as there are no other profiles, and i can't try to right click and run as admin. Another reason why this issue is a bit trouble some is that I bought my computer custom built online, I do not have a windows XP cd, if it really comes down to it I may be able to find one via "a friend of a friend", but if there is a way to fix this issue w/o the windows XP cd I would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

-Devin

Advertisements

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
You can try using Dial-A-Fix.

Download Dial-a-Fix from http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

After, run it and select everything in the Registration Center, center 4.

Select everything from ActiveX controls/codecs to Object Linking Libraries (OLE) then click on GO.

Let it finish and then Reboot.

Do your problems still occur?

If so, please write back.

Venomz

Venomz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well I got a lot of errors, some about permissions and some about a possible corrupt regsvr32 jscript.dll, they said to find a replacement or contact them for more assistance. Thanks for the help; however, search companion still isn't working. Any other suggestions?

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
One question, do you have an Administrative Account?

If so, please log into that one.

Next, I want you to do what you said before, regsvr32 jscript.dll

Also, do what I told you to do in the first post,

You can try using Dial-A-Fix.

Download Dial-a-Fix from http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

After, run it and select everything in the Registration Center, center 4.

Select everything from ActiveX controls/codecs to Object Linking Libraries (OLE) then click on GO.

Let it finish and then Reboot.

Do your problems still occur?

If so, please write back.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to borrow a XP CD of the same version as yours. Place the cd in the drive and click Start > Run. In the text file type sfc /scannow (note the space after the sfc) and press Enter. Let the process run to the end.

Edited by The Skeptic, 18 May 2008 - 12:09 PM.