Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pci.sys missing or corrupt - boot loop

• Please log in to reply

Kelikala

Kelikala

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm hoping someone here can help me before I end up tossing my system out the window!

So here's the run down of what has happened with my system. I'm running Windows XP Pro SP 2 on an Athlon AMD processor. Windows started acting erratic while trying to access document folders. Also noticed that I was having problems while accessing the internet with Firefox, so I did a virus scan. Picked up three viruses deemed high risk, repaired files, restarted computer and then received this error message... "system32\drivers\pci.sys file missing or corrupt", which of course wouldn't allow me to boot into windows. I then pulled out a back up computer and got online looking for someone to help me fix this issue. I was pointed to this web page and told to complete the steps found there. I did so, but still received the same error message on boot up. I then did some digging around of my own and found this web page, which seemed like a sure fix. I completed all the steps, rebooted the computer and it seemed as though Windows would indeed start but then I was met with a black screen, which said that Windows did not start correctly and gives me the option to start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, last known good config and start normally. No matter what I select I get sent right back to this page over and over again. So back to Google I went. I then found this web page, which seemed like a sure fire fix. However, only two steps in after typing "cd system~1\_resto~1 I get the following message "the system cannot find the file or the directory is missing". Now I know I have system restore enabled on my computer, so for the life of me I can not understand why it can not be found. I don't know what else to do and I'm at my wits end. I need my computer for work and it has files on it that I need access to because they were not backed up.

What are my other options for repairing my system without erasing my entire hard drive and reinstalling windows from scratch? If all else fails could I take my HD out of my computer and set it as a slave in another and access my files that way? Any and all suggestions would be a great help! It would mean the world to me if I could get my system fixed and up and running again. Many thanks in advance to all who reply!

Advertisements

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
What exactly happens when you boot your computer?

Can you go on safe mode?

What Operating System is your Backup PC?

I was thinking if they're both Windows XP, you can copy one from the backup over to the messed up one, but thats only if you can go on Safe Mode.

Please get back to me,

PILL5B3RRY