Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I reset my Windows XP to factory defaults?

• Please log in to reply

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hey, I have a Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2. And I want to reset it to factory settings so that EVERYTHING is gone.. And what I mean is like when you first buy your computer, there is nothing downloaded besides what you start out with... Anyone know how I can do this? Also, my PC didn't come with recovery disks', and I was wondering if I can burn the recovery disk onto a CD. If you need any other questions, please either ask me below, or simply PM me.

Thanks,
Danny

Advertisements

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Well unless you have the Windows XP disk, you cant do it.

But.... if your computer is a HP like mine, you can use the System Recovery and you can freshly install Windows XP.

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Yes, but I used to just be able to continusly press F10 when I turned my PC on, but now it just says that there is no recovery disk in the drive. So, now I can't freshly install Windows XP....

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Quick question, do you have the Windows XP cd?

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
No I do not.. I never had one when I bought my PC.. and i just wanna do this ------> :) if i can't install freshly windows xp..

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Well if you dont have the Windows XP CD, then sorry but you cant fresly install it.

Why do you want to do a fresh install anyways?

What problem(s) do you have with your computer?

Maybe we can be at help...

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well, I was downloading something, and then I scanned it before I opened, and my "Norton Antivirus" didn't detect anything... And I had rude pop-ups, and then most importantly, I started seeing that all my personal belongings were starting to disappear :) and now I can't get to admin tools, or anything because it erased everything that I may have needed to repair my PC...

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
OK...

You should go to the Malware Section HERE

They can help you fix your Malware Problems, and after you can come back here and ask for help with any other problems opening things.

Best Regards,

PILL5B3RRY

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well, I can't do anything on my PC now.. My PC has been hacked and I lost EVERYTHING! and it is still being hacked until i can reset it to factory defaults... :)

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Oh, sorry to here that.

Unless you have the Windows XP CD, there is no way.

The best thing you can do is borrow the CD from a friend or family member.

If you actually get the CD, then please write back so we can assist you in Repairing Windows XP.

Good Luck,

PILL5B3RRY

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please write down the make and model of your computer.

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Please write down the make and model of your computer.

Well... uhm.. I think it's Windows XP (SP2) Version 5.1.2600 is that enough info? if not please tell me

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
what we look for is the manufacturer of the hardware and the model of the computer, not of the software.

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
well...this is wat my pc looks like... http://h10025.www1.h...t...ng=en&cc=us

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To format a hard disk and install XP to factory settings there are three options

1: Restore from a hidden partition on your hard disk. This feature is common with newer computers but is not available to you. I asked for the computer's details to find what your options are.

2: Restore from recovery disks supplied by the manufacturer. For this you must have the disks. Have a look at this link to see what HP says about the subject. This may be your cheapest and easiest solutions because the disks include all the basic drivers required by the computer.

3: Buy a retail or OEM installation CD. Retail is the most expensive but most flexible option. You have to get the computer's drivers but there are benefits regarding repair installations and installations on upgraded or new hardware (Microsoft's permission must be asked. and is given, to activate such installations). OEM is cheaper but more limited. If you wish to understand the differences please read this.

Repair installation is not what you look for. The repair leaves your documents and filed intact, bugs, viruses and other malware included. You look for a complete wipe of your disk. Besides, XP repair very often fails and you can end up with more problems then you started with.