Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I reset my Windows XP to factory defaults?

• Please log in to reply

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Okay...Now the hacker CRASHED my PC.. I can't even turn it on. It's saying that Windows Cannot Startup because the file hal.dll is either missing or corrupt... :)

Advertisements

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Wow... sad story...

Looks like your going to need to buy a Windows XP CD...

Or you can upgrade to Windows Vista, but many people dont like Vista so its all up to you.

I wouldn't buy a new computer as its way more expensive. Buying a CD is cheaper, easier, and its handy just in case anything like this happens.

Tell me how it comes out.

Also you should look at Metallica's Web Page to learn how to prevent Malware and Spyware

metallica.geekstogo.com

Best of luck.

PILL5B3RRY

Edited by PILL5B3RRY, 19 May 2008 - 05:04 PM.

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
How would I upgrade to Vista? I honestly don't care...As long as I can access my PC again... And also PILL5B3RRY, I stole your pic.. xD

Edited by xoskullxo13, 19 May 2008 - 05:09 PM.

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Lol its ok...
As long as you dont put it as your avatar!

Anyways, Windows Vista is an entirely new Operating System, so I suggest you look at it

Heres a link about it: http://en.wikipedia....i/Windows_Vista

If you decide to upgrade, you have to buy a CD. There are many editions of Windows Vista, so be careful of which one you get.

If you buy the CD, please coontact me and I will assist you in installing it.

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well, My sister has a Windows Vista, and she has a upgrade CD.. But I don't know if I can use that on my PC... And if I can..How will I upgrade if I can't access my PC...?

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
You put the CD inside the computer. THen you restart and it should automatically run from there. If it doesnt then you enter the Boot Menu while the computer is booting up and put it to load the CD Drive first.

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
So the Windows Vista CD will work?

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
It should.

If it doesn't then feel free to tell me and i'll look more into it.

Good Luck,

PILL5B3RRY

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
He can't use his Sisters because it is registered/ activated to her unit. he needs to purchase his own.

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Yeah but its not like they illegally downloaded a copy, they could just use the same serial. If it doesn't work, then he's gonna have to buy a serial online.

Advertisements

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well, I downloaded Vista :). But...Now the problem is.. I have a wireless LAN stick that I have to plug into my computer to connect to my wireless internet, and I plugged it in, and it is saying, "Windows cannot find any networks." anyone know what to do?

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
So you have a laptop...

Are you sure your router is on and working correctly?
Did you check to see if all your settings were set?

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Welcome to Geeks 2 Go . I had the same problem when I was downloading something off the net.. (not gonna say what xD) but anyways.. I was told that the stuff that is happening to you, (Wallpaper reset, saying all that stuff) I was told that it was just a simple fake thing to get you to buy their anti virus software. But, I don't know if that is true or not.. But, What I did was, I uninstalled whatever program I wasn't familiar with, and the programs I didn't use that much.. My suggestion is to uninstall whatever you don't recognize. And if it still says that you have spyware. My other suggestion is to either get help from somebody else besides me.. Or reset your PC to factory settings (which in my case, I can't now )

I know exactly what you were downloading mister!!

A song :)

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well... I am on my school laptop at the moment, but my pc i mainly use is a desktop..and I can't connect to the internet.but i am on the internet on my school laptop, and i don't need a LAN stick for that...

.....and it wasn't a song.... xD

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
So what do you need a Lan Stick for?

Ok break it down for me...

You have a computer that wont boot...
The School's Laptop...
And what else?

... I was being sarcastic when I said a song. I know exactly what it was you little booger!