Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTDLL.DLL problem XP Won't Start!

• Please log in to reply

jalway

jalway

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello,

I have this major problem with my Windows XP Home. About two and a half years ago I tried upgrading to SP2, and I was never able to make it happen. I kept getting the blue screen of death. So, I just kept it at SP1, and the computer worked fine.

Recently I was put in a situation where SP2 was required. So, I have a copy of Windows XP Pro, with SP2, and I was going to upgrade. Well, in the process of doing this I got the following error, with the same blue screen of death:

"STOP: C0000221 Unknown Hard Error
\systemRoot\system32\ntdll.dll"

I found that others had this same problem as well. I swapped out IDE cables and that didn't fix it.

I did have an Iomega drive installed at one time, but I uninstalled that months ago.

I then tried to use my WinXP Home edition disk to do a recovery. The CD wouldn't boot without the ntdll.dll.

Well, I had the recovery console installed already (did this months ago to help fight viruses), so I went to it. I copied the ntdll.dll from the WinXP CD to the windows\system32 file, as I saw recommended elsewhere. Well, now I can't even run WinXP Home, and the same ntdll.dll error persists.

Then I tried loading in safe mode.

Upon loading in safe mode the computer freezes right when it is loading the following:

c:\windows\System32\Drivers\iomdisk.sys

So, it appears that the iomega driver is the problem. I uninstalled my iomega drive months ago, but apparently it didn’t remove the driver!

What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks for any help.

...John

Advertisements

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Do you have your Windows XP disk?

If so, Format your drive do a clean install of Windows XP.

If you look at this thread, it will show you how to do the process.

If that doesn't work then please write back to us.

If it does, then also please write back so I could know. I dont want to be left thinking.

jalway

jalway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I don't want to do a clean install. I want to save my OS! This is the whole point. It can't be that hard!

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
If you look at this thread, it will show you exactly how to do that.

Good Luck and Best Regards,

PILL5B3RRY

jalway

jalway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for your reply. Maybe this is hard, but I'm determined to get the machine working.

I can't Setup to come up so that I can do a repair install. Instead, I get the blue screen of death, and the STOP: C0000221 Unknown Hard Error ntdll

Remember, I just copied the ntdll.dll from my install disk into the windows\system32 directory, and that's when I was no longer able to get into Windows XP Home.