Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer constantly 'loses' my usb wireless adater

• Please log in to reply

SteveFTM

SteveFTM

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello

I'm running XP Pro, with a Belkin Wireless G 802.11g 54Mbps 2.4GHz Network adapter (linked to a a BT Home Hub - that's British Telecom).

The computer constantly 'loses' the adapter so I only get to surf a few webpages at a time. The usual remedy is to pull it out of the port and push it back in again - this often takes a few attempts before it's recognised again. Sometimes I have to reboot.

I have no problem with other USB devices such as my printer, camera, memory sticks or mp3 player. I have tried the adapter in different ports with the same problem.

I get a range of error messages e.g. this device is not recognised; this device has malfunctioned. Sometimes I get asked to reinstall drivers - which I have done several times!

It used to be that the problem would occur every 20-30 minutes or so, but it is now every few pages (this is my third attempt to get to this page and post this message!

In the toolbar at the bottom of my screen I have three icons - internet connection, Belkin adapter icon, BT Home Hub connection manager. Most of the time these have red crosses when the adapter is 'lost', however, sometimes they indicate that everything is fine, but I still can't get to web pages, they turn into red crosses shortly after.

I have 6 usb ports on my computer - I think only one of them is USB 2, but I don't know which :)

Advertisements

SteveFTM

SteveFTM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Bump :)

Any ideas anyone?

Networked.

Networked.

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Have you tried calling your ISP to see if its a recurring issue with the device you're using?