Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trojandownloader.xs, cool web search [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

las41577

las41577

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am running Windows XP (SP2). I use CA Security (provided free by roadrunner) for my anti-virus and anti-spyware protection, etc. I never turned off my windows security and I'm glad I didn't because windows security is how I found out about these viruses. I have a firewall with my router, CA security and Windows. Yesterday I found out I have a trojandownloader.xs and a couple files related to the cool web search trojan. I am currently working in safe mode in order to gain access to the internet. When not working in safe mode I cannot access the internet or any of my other programs. Even in safe mode 99% of the programs won't work. I cannot even access the DOS prompt. I have tried downloading 10 different programs including: PC Doctor, Spybot search & destroy, Smitfraudfix, Hijackthis, SD fix, AVGrootfix something, Adaware, Superantispyware, Windows Defender, Counterspy. I am able to download all of the programs but when I click Run I get an error message saying the file cannot be found. If I save the program to my desktop and try to run it from there when I try to open it I get that box asking me what program I want to use to run it. The only thing I have been able to run off the internet is Trendmicro House call. However, when it gets to the point of cleaning it cannot delete the following files: SPYW_WEBHANCE.AV,AX,AT,AU. When I click on the link to find out how to get rid of them I get an error and the internet window closes. I found this site through yahoo answers (thank you) and I have been searching online for any kind of solution. I fear I am going to have to reformat. Can anyone help me?

Edited by las41577, 18 May 2008 - 08:59 AM.

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hi,
Welcome to the site

I will be handling your log to help you get cleaned up. Can you please follow the instructions here and post a Hijack This log in a reply to this thread:
http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

I want you to show hidden files. There are instructions HERE to help you do this.
You should have Administrator rights to perform the fixes. Some of the instructions I give may need to be printed or saved for reference during the fix. Some of the fix will be done in Safe Mode so you will be unable to access this thread at that time.
Please dont use any of the tools without specific instructions. Some of them are dangerous (and could leave your computer in worse condition that it is when infected) if used incorrectly.
These instructions should be read first, then followed. If you do not understand something, don't be afraid to ask, or see if I'm on chat. :)

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.