Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP... Fan revves an computer won't boot (Virus Winifixer )

• Please log in to reply

tpk0211

tpk0211

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi I am trying to help my girlfriend fix her computer, her son inadvertently got a virus on it. He plays WOW ( World of Warcraft ) and was watching a video somewhere and he got the Winifixer virus on it. and I think he click on some things that said too remove click here and it just snowballed down from there. So when she called me it was just saying entering sleep mode right away each time she booted it up and nothing else would happen would not bring up anything or make any noises or beeps and couldn't press F8 for safe mode just a blank screen. So she brought over here I took off the cover and sprayed it with air and restarted. It came up to the windows screen initially but stupid me shut it down because I didn't have time to dig into it just then. So when I went to start it again all I get is the fan revving and a blank screen. I look online for help and replaced the battery and the PSU but still the same just the fan revves. I grateful for any assistance that you can provide... If its toast what is the best way to transfer the data from the hard drive to a new computer? I would think the hard drive data would be salvageable??...she has a lot pictures.

Advertisements

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Yeah I think the Hard Drive Failed.

I believe if you like get another computer and connect the failed Hard Drive that you MIGHT be able to transfer something over but I'm not to good with hardware so I dont recommend it. You should wait to see what the other people say.

tpk0211

tpk0211

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok Thanks

steveie85ca

steveie85ca

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Can you get the BIOS screen up or enter the boot menu? If so the hard drive might be ok. I would connect the hard drive as a slave to another computer(or use USB external enclosure) and back all the important stuff up. If you can get the boot menu screen, select the CD ROM as the first boot device and either reformating(which will check the hard drive for errors) or running the repair console will work to get XP to boot. Are you getting any error codes or is it saying anything by chance?

tpk0211

tpk0211

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Steve no I get nothing, someone else asked if I have a recovery disk and unfortunetly Compaq no longer includes them and my girlfriend did not make one. I know we can order one and will probably do that I am assuming since the hard drive will open that's all I need for the recovery disk to work? I know I need to copy contents first as recovery will wipe that all out I will try install as a slave and copy the data what do I need to be carefull as to not have the virus enter the new computer ? Thanks for your help !

steveie85ca

steveie85ca

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Make sure the anti-virus on the computer you are going to transfer the files to is up to date. Once you have the drive connected, command your anti virus to scan the drive and it will tell you what files are infected. If the computer is under warnty then Compaq(which is made by HP I believe) should give you the disc's for free, otherwise it will cost you but shouldn't be that much. Just one word of advice, when talking to them, use little words, they for some reason don't understand big words. If you can get it to be read by the other computer then the drive is ok. If you can then I would reformat it once you have all the important files backed up. I would ask for the operating system disc and a recovery disc.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
A virus cannot cause such hardware damage. It happened either by the forced shutdown or something got out of place during the physical cleanup. Disconnect the power cord and take the BIOS battery out for 10-15 minutes. Use this time to check every connection inside the computer. Check all the cables, particularly the large one from the PSU. Remove the memory modules and video card, clean the slots with a soft brush and the gold contact with a soft cloth. Reinstall firmly but do not use excessive force. Reboot. You should see the post screen.

tpk0211

tpk0211

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks guy's I'll continue to check things out and do what The Skeptic mentioned