Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using cable internet connection

• Please log in to reply

onelife

onelife

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi
Can anyone tell me if it possible to add another cable modem to an account that has one modem on it already. I would like to add a different PC in another room in my house that has a cable tv in there and there is a cable box in that room. I was wondering if I buy another cable modem can I get access to the internet with the modem in that room. I was using a Linksys wireless router but I was having so many problems with that router that I thought it would be better if i was able to hard wire in that room with another cable modem.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Onelife

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I think that you'll probably be charged extra for the second modem on the account. The cable provider should have a record of your existing modem MAC address and you would probably have to call them to enable the second one. The best way would be to use a router.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
That's an awful long way around resolving your problem it seems. Totally agree with 98springer that you should just use a router. You indicated you had a lot of problems with a Linksys wireless router so what about trying a different wireless router or even a wired router? It could have been something simple to resolve with the Linksys.

onelife

onelife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thank you for your advice.. I will probably stick with the wireless connection then..I was working with a Linksys Tech and he told me that the problem I was having was due to a defective router so he told me to send it back and they will replace it. All I am out is the shipping charge. Which I think is good because I purchase the router in Aug of 2006. Even though the first router I had only last a day and it had to be replaced. Its nice to know that there is still a company out there that stands behind their products.
Once again ty for you advice!
Onelife

lanshark

lanshark

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well, Onelife, depending on your house construction and the distance from the router to the "other room", your new router may not be able to deliver that wireless signal reliably.

If so, just run Cat 5 (at least) twisted pair from your "other room" to the router, which quite likely has 4 or more RJ-45 jacks on the back. Make it high class by installing jacks in the wall at both ends (get 'em at Home Depot or Lowes), then run short patch cords from the wall jacks to the equipment.

If you don't do the wire fishing bit yourself, you should be able to find a handyman or off-the-clock electrician to run the wire for you pretty cheaply.

Presto! A solid Ethernet solution at low cost - and no increased cable bill!

:)

onelife

onelife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thank you for your advice..There isn't much distance between rooms actually just a wall and the Pc's are pratically back to back.
I really appreciate your advice ones again ty :)