Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I get data off of 0ld internal hard drives (that are no longer

• Please log in to reply

HonoluluDoug

HonoluluDoug

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for reading my post.

Over the years I have owned many computers. As easy one became obsolete and I replace it with a new one, I removed and kept the hard drive from my old one. Now I have several of these lying around and I want to see what files/data is on them and if it's worth keeping.

I would hope that by now someone has developed hardware that would allow me to plug in these old hard drives via a USB port in my new computer. But I haven't been able to find any such device.

Does anyone have any idea of how I can retrieve this data?

Thanks,

Doug

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
External Hard Disk Enclosures.
Pop your drive into one of these, connect it up, plug it in, plug it into a USB port, found new hardware, up it comes as Drive E/F/G/H, etc.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
There is also an adapter which you can use with the drive out of the case. I would have to try to find the information on that (there was another thread about it).

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this link.