Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

direct x?

• Please log in to reply

Rik111

Rik111

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
hi i'm having some issues with slowdowns on 2 games. one is diablo II LOD, and the other is halo combat evolved. I have a feeling they're both the same issue, but they're the only 2 games that do this. (this being- play for 5 minutes, lag for 5 seconds or so, then back to normal) do i need to update a program like direct x? my video card driver? i'm very sure it's not my computer being slow and i've scanned a few times for malware.

thanks,
Rik

Advertisements

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Hey Rik!

I sugges updating both your video card drivers and your Direct X. Newest Direct X is here.

What is your video card?

Rik111

Rik111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
i have an nvidia 6600 512mb.

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
and your Operating System? AKA Windows XP, 2000, Vista?

Rik111

Rik111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
xp

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Here are your drivers!!

Clicky

Please make sure that all the information is correct. If you have any other issues, then just ask?

Rik111

Rik111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
that didn't help at all... any other ideas?

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
This is a little harder to do, and you may just have to bring your PC to your local shop, but it is something that could very well be the problem.

Open up your PC case, and get a can of compressed air (available at Office Max or other such stores) and get rid of all the hair, fuzz, and other pieces of garble in there. When you spray, do very short bursts, because if you spray the can too long, water may start to condense on your PC, and that's not good.

When I did this, my PC became not only quieter, but ran faster and better.

Edited by fortune82, 26 May 2008 - 01:22 PM.