Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constant, sudden shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
I've heard there are major issues with WSP3, I've uninstalled it but am told there parts still remain that need to be removed manually. I've run scans with SpyHunter, Pareto, Ad-aware and HijackThis, I can try to post the log IF I can get the machine to stay on long enough to do so. I'm not computer illiterate and can find my way around most areas but I need to know what to look for. The Sims was in the machine, they are also uninstalled, it's my daughters computer so she's also on MySpace a lot which makes me cringe. We have changed out the power supply already hoping that's all it was, but we still can't get the thing to stay on over 20 minutes. Any thoughts?

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
hi ColtsFan18,

Go to Start
Control Panel
System
Advanced Tab
In 'Startup and Recovery'
Click Settings
Uncheck the 'Automatically restart' check box
then click OK and OK

Now when there is a problem it may not shutdown.
It should give you an error message and/or an entry in your system logs.
Then from there let's see what's going on.

Please report your findings.
Thanks.

Edited by cmpm, 18 May 2008 - 07:40 PM.

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
Great, I'll do that! Thanks!

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
OK, started up in Safe Mode (since it will only stay running in that mode) and did what you said. Restarted in regular run mode and before I could click the start button it shut right back down. So I don't know if the setting didn't carry over from safe mode or if there is a heck of a virus here. I'm ready to drop kick the bleeping thing.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Sounds like a hardware problem possibly.

Open the computer and blow out the dust.
Turn the power off and unplug it first.
It may be getting hot.

Hopefully a real geek will post soon.

but, do you have an XP cd for that machine?

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
Machine has been opened and is clean, all fans are working and the CPU temp is good. Talked to our regular fit-it guy and he's thinking virus or issue from the Service pack, God help me if it's a hardware problem, the machine aint a year old and is custom built. Since it runs in safe mode forever, I don't think it's a hardware thing. I hate computers!!! We have all CD's for it but I'm not ready to reinstall Windows, I aint that good LOL!

Edited by ColtsFan18, 18 May 2008 - 08:59 PM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Since you can go into Safe Mode.
Now would be a good time to backup any data you need from it.

Run these programs in safe mode with networking.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

If you find a virus or other problem that these programs do not resolve.
Post in this forum-

http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

Though we may be able to figure it out here.

You may need to downl;oad these programs to a disk on another computer and install them from the disk on the problem computer.

These will help also-run the cleaners till nothing shows up on both the cleaner and registry cleaners

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

http://www.glaryutil....com/index.html

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
I've run all these programs on my computers, and they are part of my maintenance plan for all my computers.

So I'm not recommending programs that don't work or get good results.

Some of these may take a while to scan your computer. But that's what it takes to do it right sometimes.

One thing I didn't say to do was to run chkdsk.

You can either boot to a command prompt and type in chkdsk /f or /r.
Make sure there is a space between the k and /.

Or while in safe mode, open 'my computer'.
Right click drive c.
Click properties-tools tab.
Click check now.
If you get a message about you must reboot, click yes and restart the computer.
I'm not sure if that will work booting into safe mode but it will with a normal boot.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to boot the computer in Last known Configuration, instead of in safe mode. If that doesn't help enter Safe Mode and restore the computer to a date before the problem started. If you need help with Restore please let us know.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
There's a known issue with SP3 on Hewlett Packard machines with an AMD processor. Is that what you have? There is a fix for it.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello ColtsFan18...

From Safe Mode, run a System Restore to a date just prior to installing SP3. If it runs ok without the Service Pack, we'll make it so it won't download it again until they've got a patch for some of the install problems associated with it.

wannabe1

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
OK, I have tried the system restores all the way back to early April, the Service Pack was installed one week ago. I have also tried to do a restore when I'm in safe mode and it tells me it can't restore the system. I have also tried booting it up to Last known good configuration, it still shuts down, if I could just keep the thing running in regular mode I know it can get fixed but keeping it running is becoming a serious problem since there is only so much I can do in Safe Mode, it's such a limited platform.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Sorry. I suggested to uninstall SP-3, didn't notice that it was already done.

Edited by The Skeptic, 19 May 2008 - 11:28 AM.

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
Hey, that's OK, it happens. I was told that even after it is uninstalled that parts of it remain that need to be removed manually, I'm wondering if that is part of the problem here.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Almost every program that you remove leaves parts that can be removed manually. This can be a folder in C:\Programs, registry entries and so on. They don't cause any harm and can be left in place.