Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constant, sudden shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not sure I understood correctly: Did the problem start immediately after you removed SP-3 or was it before. Are you sure that the problem is related in any way to SP-3?

The fact that the computer can be boot and is stable in safe mode indicate to a driver problem. I would start with the uninstallation of the Display Adapter in Device Manager because video driver corruption is a common problem. Uninstall and reboot to normal mode. Windows will boot with a generic driver or with a driver stored in it's drivers library. See if the computer is stable.

Advertisements

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
Before the SP3 install the machine would suddenly shut down MAYBE twice a week, immediately following the SP3 install it became constant, I uninstalled the SP and the problem still exists which is why I'm attributing the problems to the Service Pack. Add the fact that our regular repair guy (that we can't afford to pay right now to fix this) mentioned that a lot of people were having the same issue after installing the SP3. She used to get error messages pointing to the video card but we never experienced a problem. I'll try uninstalling the Display Adapter and report what happens. Thanks again people!

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
OK, the Display adapter thing worked, I'm going to post the logs in the Hijack This forum and see if there is anything else that needs doing, it's a miracle it's stayed on for almost 30 minutes *knock on wood*

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
OK, I have run Kaspersky, I'll post the log in the Malware forum. However, regarding the Display adapter... I boot up in Safe Mode and delete it, I reboot in regular mode and it automatically tries to reinstall itself, so I am disabling it upon reboot. With it being disabled the machine stays on but the page scrolling is awful, it jumps rather than smooth scrolls and not just a little bit, it's terrible. Also, this forum looks completely different, there are no frames or boxes around the topics or forums, wouls this be from the Display Driver as well?

So how do I remove the display driver so it won't reinstall. It's a Radeon 9200 SE. Strangely though, there are two of them. The other is a Radeon 9200 SE SEC.

So thats where we are at right now. Any ideas?

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Run Windows update to get the windows driver from there.
Choose 'custom' scan, it will be in hardware.

Since you already have drivers on your computer,
your computer must be bypassed, or find and delete the drivers.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
If smooth scrolling is checked in advanced settimgs in your browser, uncheck it. it it's unchecked check it.

Also this is a good mouse scrolling config program.

http://ehiti.de/katmouse/

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Let the drivers install themselves. What we wanted to do is to remove corrupted drivers which we did. The new drivers that the computer installs now are OK.

It looks like you have two video adapters in your computer. One integrated into the motherboard and the other an add-on one (Look at the back of the computer and see how many video connections you have). Each adapter needs it's own driver. Both are available in Windows drivers library. When you boot the computer both of them load. Don't worry about that.

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
cmpm, I have made sure the "smooth scrolling" box is checked, I'll go check out that mouse scrolling program you posted though.

Skeptic, I'll let them install themselves and see if it shuts down and report what happens next. I have also posted logs from all scans in this thread:

http://www.geekstogo...P3-t198871.html

and am now waiting for a response.

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
OK, I installed the program, checked all the settings and uninstalled the mouse driver and let it reinstall itself, it still jumps like crazy. HOWEVER, the computer STAYS ON!!! *happy dance*

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Is the mouse a USB type? If yes, get a PS-2 mouse, or PS-2 to USB adapter and connect the mouse to the SP-2 port.

Advertisements

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
Yes, it is a PS-2 mouse, I never thought to try the adapter, I think I have one here, I'll give that a shot. Thanks!