Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

plz help computer problem

• Please log in to reply

canadianmetal

canadianmetal

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So a couple of months ago my power supply stopped working.

I RMA'd and i got a new one. but when i started my system up again i just got the "--" error code on my mobo. I rma'd my mobo and got a new one. once my new motherboad arrived i started up my computer and installed windows xp. It installed it no problem and took about 20-40 minutes. once it was done i turned off my computer for the night. the next day i started it up and it shut off on me after about 10 minutes. i started it again adn this tiem it shut off after about 3. now it wont run for more than 3 minutes. i tried plugging the power supply into another computer and it ran no problem for more than half an hour. I also tried reseating the processor, and taking out the graphics card and running only the mobo adn processor and it still shuts off. Ive also tried both my memory one at a time in each slot. I really need to know what the [bleep] is wrong with my computer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thankyou.
Brian---

Advertisements

canadianmetal

canadianmetal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
so pretty much ive narrowed it down to either the motherboard or the processor (or maybe the ram?). Im pretty sure its not overheating because all temps being reported are within normal ranges. The motherboard i was sent was missing a pin on the MCP heatsink and when i hold it down the temps on the mcp go down about 6-8 degreesC but i dont think 50 degreesC is overheating.

Also last night i took a can of compressed air and sprayed down EVERYTHING including the processor.

So which is causing my problem?
The motherboard or the Processor.

If its the ram i will find out tonight because i am going to borrow some ddr2 memory from a friend and try it.

I really hope its the motherboard because its still under warranty and I dont want to have to buy a new processor (I already spent way too much on the one i have).

thankyou,
Brian---

puters r a pain

puters r a pain

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
hey brian. its brian 2. sorry for spam. couldnt help myself. i just used compressed air as well and now my harddrive is wiped...What the....

canadianmetal

canadianmetal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
nobody knows what the problem is?

this really sucks

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Can you please clarify what a "--" error is? What sort of power supply is it, what brand? Was this a branded machine before you started working on it?

You shouldn't have to hold down a heatsink to bring temperatures down. That just proves it isn't appropriately secured.