Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gfx Card idle temp problems

• Please log in to reply

hiImBrandon

hiImBrandon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey I was just wondering what I should do in this situation. My current gfx card is Radeon 1900XTX awhile ago I was having its idle temp around 45 degrees (mainly because my basement is very cold) but now its around 62 idle and that bothers me because I'm scared to run higher end games and overheat my system. I *think I noticed when I startup my system fan makes a weird noise but eventually goes away, is it time to purchase a new system fan, should I clean out my gfx card fan, do I need another fan? I don't what to do here so help me out please.

Edited by hiImBrandon, 19 May 2008 - 09:21 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Wierd noise? Do elaborate.
If your room is warm then then the ambient temperature inside the case will be warm as well. Maybe declogging the fan of dust and grime will help.

amdathlon64x4

amdathlon64x4

• Pip
  • 1 posts
62C idle is a bit high but not too bad. Aslong as it stays under around 70C your fine.

hiImBrandon

hiImBrandon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Wierd noise? Do elaborate.

Its like a loud piercing buzz and slowly dims away, I think its because my system fan's motor is bad? idk, and no my basement is really cold prolly around 55 degrees.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds like the bearings on the fan are going. Keep an eye on that because if the fan fails, the card will be toast within ten minutes. You'll smell burning. Like I did today when a graphics card fan gave up the ghost and filled the air with a burning smell. I have a nice burn on my finger where I touched the heatsink, could have fried an egg on it.