Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts off after 2-10 seconds

• Please log in to reply

elfalko

elfalko

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi i have a few problems, my computer is turning off after a few seconds, sometimes it will get all the way to the bios screen before shutting off, leaving me no time to check anything. its very frusterating. Also before this started it was not getting anything on the screen (But not turning off)..

Two months ago i replaced the mobo because it wasnt getting anything on the screen and that fixed it. Now this problem is happening again and i want to find a way to prevent this.

And also 8 months ago i had to replace the PSU. i feel like there is something wrong or i am doing something wrong because i keep getting problems. I didnt build it myself but it is custom built.

Here is my specs

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
FAN: INTEL LGA775 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS
HDD: Single Hard Drive (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
MOTHERBOARD: (Quad-Core Supports) Asus P5N32-E nForce 680i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2
POWERSUPPLY: Apevia 680W Iceberg Power Supply
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express Video Card

Edited by elfalko, 18 May 2008 - 08:39 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Try a new power supply. Disregard the fact you replaced it eight months ago, try a new one now.

elfalko

elfalko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
just as a couple months ago it seems to be the motherboard.. so i suppose i will replace it again any ideas for how i can prevent this from happening again? somehow my computer keeps getting screwed up.. something incompatible maybe? i dunno.. thanks for the reply.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You might also check the heatsink for the CPU. If it is not making a good connection, it will not cool properly and it will cause the system to shutdown.

elfalko

elfalko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
could this possibly be caused by a virus?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

could this possibly be caused by a virus?

Not if the system isn't getting as far as starting to load Windows.
Maybe a couple of decades or so ago, yes, when virii could live on floppy disks and most computers booted off floppy, but these days nobody uses floppy disks and bootable CDs with virii intentions are tantamount to what is essentially sabotage - you'd know about it, basically.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
And as was said try replacing the power supply.... I don't know that brand of power supply but hi wattage numbers doesn't necessarily make it a good supply...