Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Disconects--Modem Never Dc's--Wont reconect

• Please log in to reply

enderz

enderz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ive been researching this problem for the last week, I know this is kind of a long post but I really need your guys help.

So here goes, Ive been having problems with computer disconecting and staying disconected even though my modem doesnt disconect and my NIC has been replaced and is working perfectly. The only way it will reconect is if I completely restart the computer. I can also cause the computer to disconect via pulling the ethernet cord and again the same problem happens--namely I cant reconnect or even repair. I am running XP and have cable internet connection.

I talk to a friend who does alot of IT work and keeps up with the latest and greatest and he tells me that there is a bug with Norton where by it blocks port 326 and causes disconects and stops you from reconecting to the internet.

I thought this to be the case, meaning I thought nortons firewall had something to do with the problems Ive been having but I didnt know it for sure until I was made aware of this.

I also found this in the eventvwr under security, which I may beleive supports my theory,

Failure Audit--Network Services
IPSec Services: IPSec Services has experienced a critical failure and has shut down with error code: The network connection was aborted by the local system.
. Stopped IPSec Services can be a potential security hazard to the machine. Please contact your machine administrator to re-start the service.

-----Since that has happened and Ive talked to a couple folks, I have since disabled IPSEC. I havent unintalled Norton yet simply because its a family computer and well my step dad is cranky about doing it. So for now this is sort of a information gathering session where by Im trying to find EXACTLY where the problem is before I do anything else.

I thought I knew exactly where the problem lay but since then Ive disconected twice and now after checking the eventvwr logs Ive found another error that happens at the time of disconect..

"Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 001A7011FDFB. The following error occurred:
An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server."

and this error also

"Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address 65.188.185.91 on the Network Card with network address 001A7011FDFB."

What is happening exactly? Can you guys help me fix it?

thanks in advance

Edited by enderz, 18 May 2008 - 09:20 PM.

Advertisements

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Instead of uninstalling Norton how about just disabling it?

Also, have you checked Norton's site for any update to fix this bug?