Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet keeps going down for unexplained reasons

• Please log in to reply

gamelord12

gamelord12

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Since I got home from school and plugged in my computer to my home network, the internet has been going down constantly. The LAN stays up, and I can access any computer from any other computer, but we lose internet, even though the router's status page doesn't change and the activity lights still blink on the modem and the router. Why is this happening? It'll stay up for 20 minutes to a few hours and then the internet will cut out again. Also, one of our computers said there was an IP conflict when it was shutting down during one of our various attempts at getting this network set up right, yet if that had happened, the LAN wouldn't do anything at all, right?

We have a cable modem for Comcast running to a home router (with a switch built in; you know the type) with IP address 192.168.1.1 running to a nearly identical router, both Linksys, in the other room at 192.168.1.2 with DHCP turned off. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Check all your IP Addresses of your PCs.
The IP confict is bound to cause problems.
Make sure every computer exept your modem and router have DHCP turned on and set their IP address through the DHCP.

EDIT: If you need any more detailed help we can also help you with this.

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 18 May 2008 - 11:50 PM.

gamelord12

gamelord12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
It all seems fine. And like I said, the internet would go down, but the LAN stays up every time. Yet what is really strange is that when my computer is on the network, that's when strange things happen.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
I'd like to see some more information. Please follow the steps below.
  • Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "cmd".
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /all".
  • A lot of information will appear, Please right click the black window and hit mark.
  • Select every line of text you recieved and hit "enter" to copy.
  • Then paste it into your next reply.

Repeat these steps on all your computers.
Please make sure you seperate the ipconfig's clearly.

Regards,
Olrik

gamelord12

gamelord12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well, since I shut down my torrent program the internet's been fine, so I think Comcast may not like torrents and they were purposely denying us internet once I got a certain download and/or upload rate.