Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with rundll32.exe

• Please log in to reply

johnny john

johnny john

• Pip
  • 3 posts
[B] ok so i axidnelt deleted rundll32.exe and ive gone through the necessary steps to replace it and the other files associated with it but, i still cant open anything in control panels, it says rundll32.exe has encountered and error and must close how can i get the proper files needed to rundll32.exe to work properly

Advertisements

TonyKlein

TonyKlein

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 642 posts
  • MVP
I'm assuming you're running Win 98 here.

Make sure your Windows CD-ROM's in the drive.
Go to Start/run, and type SFC.
Choose 'Extract One File From Installation Disk'.
Type rundll32.exe, not worrying about its location. Then, click Start.

Next to 'Restore From', type in or browse for the file’s location, which is probably in the Win98 folder of your installation CD-ROM (typically D:\Win98), or in your Windows\Options\Cabs folder, as the case may be.

Then, next to 'Save File In', enter, or browse to C:\Windows, and click OK. System File Checker looks for the file, saves it as you requested, and then tells you that 'the file has been successfully extracted'.

That should put things right.

Good luck!

johnny john

johnny john

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am running windows 98 SE but i dont have a windows 98 SE CD ROM i bought the computer used and it didnt come with any cds

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Try a search for a folder called options

could be c:\windows\options
or
c:\options

many system builders put the installation files there. You will be able to extract it from there.

johnny john

johnny john

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thankx for the help but i fixed the problem since i last posted, i deleted all the files i previously installed and started fresh with a search at www.driversguide.com for the rundll.exe file, downloaded it and installed in the C:/windows file and the control panel works properly sincerly john in ohio