Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing system file

• Please log in to reply

mrmaxey

mrmaxey

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hello,

my moms pc has been a nice project to me but unsolvable and now rather annoying to play with.
i tryed everything but the 2 main function i really need are i dont know deleted dissabled or whatever cant find that out
first of all when i run a startup log it cant find
\windows\system32\config\system

i know that aint good when that is gone...

then i tryed to boot up with cd but cd driver wont respond at all :S
so i checked in the bios en yeah its all connected no problem at all it says so that get me frustrated.
all other option i tryed when startup F8 the selection menu wont work either so im here asking for help. someone know what to do otherwise ill just buy a new FFIN hard drive :)

thnx allot for your reading time.

best regards,
mrmaxey

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Enter the BIOS and make your CD drive first priority boot device. Use the link in my list below to GeeksToGo guide for windows repair.

mrmaxey

mrmaxey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
did that a loooooooong time agoo :) i said cd just dont wanna read anything
*edit*
anyways its amibios 1998 its def not the newest pc :) like mine but still XD
i already readed your repair xp link so well i ll be trying a billion things and hope her cd drive will finally read [bleep] :)

Edited by mrmaxey, 19 May 2008 - 07:42 AM.

mrmaxey

mrmaxey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Problem fixed delete this topic what i find out is that the person that place second cd in it rewired the whole [bleep] wrong so its all good now im repairing it while typing i thnk all that readed this

best regards

*edit* ill tell you what the done the place second cd drive as p6 and first as p7 and the second cd is broken XD so that was really stupid to rewire it like that cause boot wont see that and will try to boot tru p6 the nerds here will understand that :)

Edited by mrmaxey, 19 May 2008 - 07:56 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know. Here in G2G we busy ourselves in mind reading, heaving great fun. Sometimes we fail like, I regret to say, I did. That won't happen again, I can assure you.

Meanwhile try to replace the CD drive or maybe you already did it a ................ , well you know.

mrmaxey

mrmaxey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i can understand that :) rofl wanna know something funny it is not able to repair so im reinstalling the whole ffin thing :) my mom wont be happy all the pictures will be deleted by now :) anyways good luck with mind reading :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Why lose your mom's pictures? If I understand then you plan to format the disk and reinstall windows. There are ways to boot the computer and save the data by other operating systems. Another option is to take out the hard disk of the computer and rig it to another computer either directly or through USB adapters.

If you wish us to guide you (seriously), please let us know.

Kind Regards

The Skeptic

mrmaxey

mrmaxey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yeah well guide me i aint done [bleep] yet :) cause i could not restore the pc cause the whole system 32 map is gone so it cant restore [bleep] so yeah other ways always welcome if you would please guide me that would be cool but do remember my mom has a old pentium 2 system im all up to date with my pc [bleep] so her hard drive wont fit in anything i have.
and how do i usb a hard drive im so intrested in that :)

hope for more info
best regards,

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi mrmaxey.

Your mother's computer is very old indeed and will be very slow with windows XP. However, I believe she has a good reason to keep it so let's try to backup her pictures.

Your computer must have an IDE connection on the motherboard. At least one, if not two. That means that the hard disk of your mom's computer can be connected to your computer, unless her drive is of a type called SCSI, which I doubt.

Take out the hard disk from your mother's computer together with the flat cable that connect it to the motherboard, if you don't have such cable in your computer. It seems to me that you know how to jumper a hard disk so jumper the hard disk to be Master (if it's not already) and connect it to the motherboard in your computer. Do not connect any other drives to the same cable. Boot the computer and let Windows find the new disk. When found, you should be able to see it in My Computer. Now you should be able to copy the pictures from your mom's disk and paste them to yours. When finished, take the disk back to your mother's computer and install XP, antivirus and everything. Move your mother's disk back to your computer and copy the pictures back to her hard disk.

Notes:

1: The disk replacement should be done with the power cords pulled off the wall socket.
2: When your mom's data is on your computer run a good scan with antimalware programs to clean off bugs, if there are any.
3: While the pictures are on your computer it can be a good occasion to burn them to a CD and store them safely.

Regards

mrmaxey

mrmaxey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i guessed you would say that :) the prob was already fixed :) but thnx for your reply :)

best regards,
mrmaxey