Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issues with DVD burner

• Please log in to reply

dolface755

dolface755

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
I seem to be having some problems with my dvd burner.... it plays dvd's n cd's just fine but for some reason I get different error messages when I try to burn anything. I had recently installed Nero 7.0 but after going thru 2 burns unsuccessfully and getting "invalid block address" error messages i read through the forums to find out that there are alot of people with the same problem with this particular program so I uninstalled it and when back to the older version of nero I had which is Nero 6.0 I've tried a couple of burns both dvd and cd and now getting new messages I am inserting the log files that i have and if anyone could help that would be wonderful ty :)

Advertisements

dolface755

dolface755

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Error Logs From attempted burns

Attached Files

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have had a lot of problems with Nero 7 and nero 8. I've been working on them but have not solved all the problems.

One thing i need to ask you is have you used the nero cleaning tool to wipe out previous versions on nero on the computer. I have had a great deal of problems when i don't use their tool.

http://www.nero.com/...-utilities.html

http://www.nero.com/...-utilities.html

I had bought a bad copy of Nero 8 off Ebay. When i installed it it came up with a error so i should have known there was going to be problems. I finally used the nero cleaning tool and put Nero 7 back on the computer but was still getting errors when trying to use nero burning rom. When i use nero express i do not have any problems. I am looking in the registry now for problem areas that may have been caused by the nero 8 install.

I have even went as far as switching back to Nero 6, but i really do like Nero 7 better for 2 reasons. One more DVD drives are supported. Second thing is although somewhat bloated, it not nearly as bad as Nero 8. I wish there was a stripped down version of nero 8 , that would be perfect. Lately i have been using other burning software with some luck as they are the stripped versions. You do need to know what exactly what you are trying to do with these other burning softwares is the only problems i've run across so far.

Another problem you might be having is the burner itself. It looks like it is a LG( HL) burner. I have thrown away every HL burner i have taken out of e-machine, H-P, and Compaq computers. They are the pits when it comes to burners. I replace them with Phillips dvd-rw burners nowadays. When it took over a hour to burn a simple Data DVD with the HL burner in my compaq computer, i said that was enough.

On your log files you will notice that on the first one at 9:56:07 you got a invalid block address. This is usually either the reader skipping or the software doing a slight crash.

On the second log file it shows a write error at 2:12:29. This tells me it may be a poor quality disk or the burner hiccuped. I would tend to think the latter.

On your nero log at 9:05:04 you got a filewriter cpp write error. Filewriter cpp is a control panel applet so this one looks like a software error.

So whats the cure? I don't really know. I am running my Nero 7 ultra on my vista computer with no problems. This is with a Phillips 20X dvd burner. My problem computer is a Compaq SR 2011 that had a HL burner in it. I have since switched to a phillips burner, and switched back to Nero 7, but my next shot is the clean tool. I cannot use nero burning rom to make ISO files into bootable CD's yet.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 19 May 2008 - 04:56 PM.

dolface755

dolface755

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Thanks so much I didnt know about the Nero clean tool used and then reinstalled Nero 7 and everything seems to be back working again
thx for the help