Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Distorted icons

• Please log in to reply

David Firestorm

David Firestorm

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok here's what happened:

I found my Dad's laptop with a blue screen and I actually ignored it and just rebooted, thinking it was an unhandled exception pushed my a memory overload.
Well to my surprise when the PC booted up all the icons in it where weird looking, except for those in the all programs tab of the start menu and the folders on the desktop. ( the best description would be that they looked like a collage of a few of different icons)

Not knowing what it was and wanting to see if it was the icons files that got damaged I decided to switch the icons around. Well the icon I messed with now appears normal except for one thing, a red bar in the lower left corner. Immediately I noticed that all the messed up icons also had the same red bar, the only icons with out the red bar where the normal ones.

Heres a screen shot of the icons
Posted Image

The OS is Win XP ME

Edited by David Firestorm, 19 May 2008 - 01:20 PM.

Advertisements

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
OK.

I need you to download the following program: Dial-A-Fix

Download Dial-A-Fix from here: http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

After you have downloaded it, please run it.

Next, I want you to click on the little Hammer at the bottom of the program's screen.

Once you have clicked on it, I need you to click on Flush Icons. This will reset and restore icons.

Sometimes in Windows icons get corrupted and look how you have them.

This should fix it, but in the case it doesn't, please write back to me.

Tell me how it went,

PILL5B3RRY

David Firestorm

David Firestorm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks it worked :)

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts