Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Excel

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I have Excel 2007 with SP1 and all the latest updates.

In my Excel file, I have 16,000 rows. In column AH, I have a number from 1 through 400 so that there are 40 of each number in column AH in the entire spreadsheet.

I have to split the sheet into multiple sheets to send to four different people. Each person should get 4,000 rows, which will contain 100 of the numbers in column AH. I cannot split the numbers in column AH among different people. So, for example, each of the 40 rows that have AH=100 must go to the same person.

I could simply send AH=1-100 to one person, AH=101-200 to the second person, etc. However, it is important that the AH numbers each person gets are NOT sequential.

I was thinking I could create a new column with another random number from 1 through 400 and split it according to that. But is there a way to make sure that each row that has the same AH number gets the same random number?

Any ideas would be greatly appreicated...

mike.

Advertisements

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
To answer my own question, in the first cell of the new column, I would put:

=RANDBETWEEN(1,400)

Then in every remaining cell, I would put:

=IF(AH2=AH1,AP1,RANDBETWEEN(1,400))

However, this does what I want in that it makes sure any row with the same number in AH has the same random number. However, I do need one other thing. Is there any way to make sure that when a random number is chosen, it doesn't already appear in the list?

thanks,
mike.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Again, answering my own question... well, not really answering the question, but I found another way to do what I am trying to do...

*Sort Excel file by the column with the 1 through 400 number in it (so it is 1,2,3,4, etc.)
*go to ( http://www.pangloss....del/rnumber.cgi ) and create random numbers from 1 to 401 (use newline delimeter)
*highlight all the numbers and copy them, then paste them into the next blank column in the Excel file
*for remaining blank cells in new column, put this formula there: =IF(AH3=AH2,AQ2) , where AH is the column with the 1 through 400 number and AQ is the new column
*sort by AH column
*right-click and copy the new column, then Paste Special/Values the new column

I now have random numbers in that column where all of the same AH numbers have the same random number.