Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Remote Desktop Through NAV 2008

• Please log in to reply

Corelis

Corelis

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I recently upgraded my Norton AV to 2008 and for whatever reason I can no longer Remote desktop into the computer running the new Norton.

Nothing as far as my settings on Vista have changed AFAIK, but I no longer am able to Remote in from Home to work.

Before I uninstall 2008 and go back to 2007, does anyone know what/how I need to configure 2008 to Get back to Remote Desktopping in. I am a workaholic and need my work computer accessible 24/7 *I know I'm lame*.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

Advertisements

steveie85ca

steveie85ca

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Have you checked the firewall settings? I belive there is an option in the Norton AV '08 options that has to be enabled for remote conections as well.

Corelis

Corelis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Steveie:

Thank you for your response. to answer your question yes, I did check the options of the NAV 2008. The problem is there is no direct enable/disable option in this version, at least none i can find that specifically point to the firewall. If you or anyone else can give me a bit of Guidance who has been able to disable the entire firewall on NAV2008, I wouldn't mind relying solely on my Windows Firewall and Password Protection and disabling NAV firewall 100%.

Appreciatively

Corelis

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Here is an example of how you go in and change the settings in Norton:

Start Norton AntiVirus 2008.

On the Norton AntiVirus tab, click Settings.

Under Web Browsing, click Internet Worm Protection, and then click Configure.

Under How to customize your settings, click Program Control.

Scroll through the list of programs, until you find "Microsoft Internet Explorer" or your Web browser. Some common Web browsers other than Internet Explorer are:

* Mozilla Firefox
* AOL Explorer

Change the Access from Block or Custom to Allow.

In the Norton AntiVirus Program Rules window, click OK.

One thing you did not make clear is this just Nortain AV 2008 or is the the Security Suite?

Corelis

Corelis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you for the response, the suite IMHO is garbage and I use soley the AV product.

In the end I found the culprit was the Vista Firewall. For whatever reason, the Firewall doesn't accept the connection any longer, although the Exclusion is made for remote desktop.

I am unsure if it was a recent Vista Update or the NAV 2008 or a combination of the two. but when i disengaged the Vista Firewall I was able to Remote In.

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate all the help this site makes available to me.

Best regards,

Corelis

jbaillie

jbaillie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
firstly try turning nortan off and see if you can connect then you for definate its nortan sec then create a rule in nortan for port 3389