Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to boot after SP3

• Please log in to reply

mn-angel

mn-angel

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, Rorschach112 sent me. (What an opening!) My original problem was with Malware. I followed the instructions from this site on Malware Removal – ran ATF-Cleaner and created a new System Restore point; ran Malwarebyte’s Anti-Malware and saved the log; and ran SUPERAntiSpyware. At this point I rebooted and everything looked normal. I was unable to get Online-Panda ActiveScan to run but thought I was clean so went ahead with Windows Update and installed SP3. When I tried to reboot, I got a message that “a problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.” I’ve been unable to boot up since then.

If I just turn on the computer and don’t do anything else, I first get a Dell screen for about a second, then a black screen that says:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware of software change might have caused this.
If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren’t sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration
Start Normally

If instead I start the computer and hit F8, I am able to get to the black screen with the Windows Advanced Options menu (Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, etc.) From there, I’m given a choice of operating systems; WindowsXP Media Center Edition is the only option.

Starting either way, if I choose either Last Know Good Configuration or Start Normally, I get the Windows startup screen for a few seconds, then the blue screen / stop error:

An attempt was made to execute non-executable memory.
If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.
Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x000000FC (0xF7AA98E8, 0x07354963, 0xF7AA9848, 0x00000001)

If instead I choose Safe Mode, I get lots of lines of white text like “multi (0),disk (0),rdisk (0),partition(2)\WINDOWS\System 32\Drivers\” (etc), then I get a blue screen / stop error indicating “Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area”, with the following technical information line:

***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFF96, 0x00000000, 0xF7AFB8E8, 0x00000000)

I’m running MS Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 on a Dell Dimension E510, with the following:

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 630 with HT Technology (3.0 GHz)
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533 MHz
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
256MB ATI Hyper Memory PCI-Express X16 (DVI/VGA/TV out) Radeon X600 SE video card
Intel Pro 100M Integrated PCI NIC Card
Trend Micro PC-cillin anti-virus & anti-spyware

I’m really hoping you’ll be able to get me up and running again without losing un-backed up files. (I know, my bad. We’d just bought an external HD, but all heck broke lose before we had a chance to perform a good backup.) Thanks in advance for whatever help you can give me…

Advertisements

steveie85ca

steveie85ca

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Sounds like you will have to run the repair console on the Windows XP CD to fix up all the files that are bad.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Check the following links for similar problems and hopefully more answers to solve the problem:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/STOP-0x000000FC-after-installing-service-pack-3-t198297.html
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/XP-service-pack3-edit-Boot-ini-file-t198224.html
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Should-Get-SP3-Windows-Update-Site-Automatic-Systray-Icon-t197400.html

Hope I got 'em all straight. :)

Ron