Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse and Keyboard Malfunction

• Please log in to reply

Kib0y

Kib0y

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys,

I just recently reformatted the family computer because they didn't have any virus protection and loaded up the computer with a lot of viruses (not that, that is important). And everything was running swimmingly as I was downloading the programs they had onto the computer, including some drivers. I still had the video, audio, and USB drivers to go. But we were also in the process of rearranging the room the comptuers were in (go figure). So I shut down the computer for the first time since I reformatted it. I boot it back up to install those drivers and the keyboard and mouse will not work. The mouse is an optical mouse that has a cord and is connected into the PS2 port. The strange thing is, the light shows up on the mouse but the cursor will not move. And the keyboard will not type either.

Anything you can think of?

And the keyboard and mouse will not work on the boot up screen either. So I can't even try to get into BIOS or run a recovery with the boot disk because the computer doesn't boot from the CD drive first. -_-

Edited by Kib0y, 19 May 2008 - 08:42 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Kib0y...

I'm not sure this is going to help, but it will certainly leave you no worse off. Let's reset the CMOS and see if it will recognize the keyboard when you start it back up. You'll want to do this with the power cord removed.

To clear the CMOS need to remove the motherboard battery. It's about the size of a quarter and is usually located in the lower right quarter of the Motherboard. Near the battery (either below or to the right on most) you should see 3 small pins with a jumper block on them. It should look like this, where the underscore represents the jumper . . . Move the jumper to the other pins . . . for about 30 seconds and then move it back to it's original position. Put the battery back in, making sure to put it in + side up. Try to boot your machine.

Note that this will clear the date, time, and restore all default settings to the BIOS. You will have to reset any settings you have changed such as Boot Priority. Be sure to save the settings when you exit the BIOS (F10). If you are not using a static strap, keep one hand or your arm touching the metal part of the case to prevent static discharge damage to the Motherboard and it's components.

wannabe1

Kib0y

Kib0y

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK. So I reset the CMOS settings and now when I boot up the computer it says

"CMOS Settings Wrong
Press F2 to Run SETUP
Press F1 to load default values and continue"

The keyboard still doesn't work so now I can't get pass this screen and the light on the mouse is still lit.

Edited by Kib0y, 19 May 2008 - 09:25 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the late reply....I got called away for a little bit. :)

What's the make and model number for your machine?

Kib0y

Kib0y

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The machine I built myself a few years back. But if you want to know any specific model of any of the parts, I can tell you.

But I'm assuming since you were going in the direction of the motherboard, and I thinking it's a motherboard issue as well since that's where the PS2 sockets are placed, you want that.

It is a K7VT4A Pro ASRock motherboard.

Edited by Kib0y, 20 May 2008 - 06:06 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I am, indeed, leaning towards a bad motherboard.

Have you tried a different keyboard and mouse?

Kib0y

Kib0y

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I don't have another keyboard or mouse to try that aren't USB, and I need to install the drivers in that computer for the ports to wrok. I do have a spare motherboard though. So I'm thinking about hooking that into it and seeing what the result is.

Kib0y

Kib0y

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So funny story. I was changing the hardrive and powersupply over to the other computer that I have half done and it work ONLY because I checked the connectors and it seems that both in the mouse and keyboard, one of the prungs were bent and didn't find into the socket right. Which caused the illusion that the mouse was on but didn't respond. [bleep] kids. It was my brother who hooked up the computer after moving it lol