Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank monitor problem

• Please log in to reply

rmark

rmark

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm running XP Pro on an Intel D865GLC motherboard & a Sony LCD monitor. Just a week or 2 ago I started having a problem with the monitor staying blank when I turned on the computer. The only way to fix the problem was/is to hit the hard reset button, sometimes more than once, & then the monitor operates normally. The monitor is almost brand new as I just got it last Dec. A friend says this might be caused by the use of anti-spyware programs, of which I have 3, Spybot, Ad Aware & Spyware Blaster, but I haven't used them to delete files recently. He says the only cure is to wipe my HD clean & re-install everything from scratch, including the OS, but I'm hoping to be able to avoid this. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-rmark

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Always start with the simple end. In the shop when I receive this type of problem we normally just start swapping pieces so in this case I would just connect a different monitor to the computer and a different computer to the monitor, it soon tells you if it is the card graphic, bad config, or just bad connection of cables. One thing though graphics cards often slip out of their slot when plugging and replugging, it migh be a good idea after the above idea to see if it is sitting correctly in its slot. Bonne chance.

rmark

rmark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanx. That sounds like an excellent idea. I can connect my wife's monitor to my computer for starters & go from there.

-rmark :tazz: