Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Requesting help from a friendly computer whiz to build my computer

• Please log in to reply

JustaMom

JustaMom

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I know we have no business taking on a new build because i had to look up to see what MB stood for.., but you only live once so we did it anyway. Now we have problems. Here's what we got:
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 processor
Intel Media Series DP35DP MB
GeForce 8800GS video
antec 650 wt power
Pioneer DVD/CD writer
Patriot Ram (2 1k sticks)
Maxter-Sata II/300 Hard drive kit. (spent our stimulus $$)
--------
Here's what the BIOS says:
BIOS version: DPP3510J.86A.0293.2007.1002.1519
It does show the correct time and date
Advance Drive Configuration: ATA/IDE mode: Native
Configure SATA as <RAID>
S.M.A.R.T. Enabled
----------
So we connected the parts and put in a Window Xp (the old original) I don't know if it is an oem or what, it came with my old computer. The disk says Windows XP home ed and the label has pretty holographic colors I would guess that all the geniune disks come with.
It did not tell us to format the hard-drive,, isn't supposed to do that. So...
My husband attached a floppy and was able to format the HD through DOS (yes we are old).

Now I try to install Windows and it looked like it was installing because it said: "Windows set up" on the top left of the screen, and on the bottom: Set up is loading files (USB Keyboard) etc,,,

BUT then, I get the "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH", that says "(You idiot), A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer. It tells me to check to see if my hardware is properly installed or configured. Run CHKDSK F to check for hard drive corruption then restart --- STOP OX0000007B ( 0XF7BD663C, OXC0000034, OX00000000, OXOOOOOOOO.... I'm betting it's not giving me hugs and kisses..
I would be greatful for any help.
thanx.

Edited by JustaMom, 19 May 2008 - 11:45 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That error code is directly related to your hard drive. The drive could be faulty or it may not be configured correctly.

I noticed you mentioned this: Configure SATA as <RAID>. RAID requires multiple drives and is most likely something you do not need. Try loading the "Fail-safe" defaults from the BIOS and load it again.

Also your XP disk is questionable. The holographs do mean it is legit but there is so many types out there. There are XP disks that will only install on say Dell Inspiron computers. If this Windows is also on another machine or it is an OEM version it would actually be illegal for you to install it on the new system.

If it did in fact come with an old computer such as a Dell then that would make it an OEM copy and you will not be able to legally put it on a new system. Don't ya love Microsoft?

Edited by Titan8990, 20 May 2008 - 09:20 AM.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
My experience has been that a Dell CD will install on any system, but you need a Dell product key to activate it, and also the Dell CD's generally are labled as such, so that would make *me* lean toward a hdd problem. Possibly (like Titan8990 said) a faulty drive or incorrect SATA configuration.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The newer ones are not as such. They don't require a key but do require that they are being installed on the intended machine. We will not be able to assist you without a copy of Windows that you can legally put on your machine.

JustaMom

JustaMom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yea, I can't be sure about the disk. I bought a computer some time ago that was built by someone just building computers and selling them, so it's not a Dell or other name brand. He provided me with all the disks, which included this "pretty" windows disk. Since my hard drive died I thought I would do an overhall but use the same disks. I have no problem in purchasing a new disk (there goes my mad money) if I need to but I'm thinking configuration issue here.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I think if it were a disk issue, it would have at least let you start installing Windows before it kicked you off (typical Microsoft behavior :)) So yeah, I would think it's probably a configuration issue. What that is, I couldn't tell you without looking at all the settings. But maybe someone else on here can :)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
In the mean time you could try installing Linux to see if the hard drive is faulty.

JustaMom

JustaMom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK, My brother took my hard drive home and tested it. It seems to be ok.
I called Intel, they said the MB and processor was a marriage made in heaven.
Next we looked at bios settings. You geeks, I mean you really smart people, were right. Some of you said to get off of RAID, which by the way is contrdictory to what some of the instructions say and Intel's own support site that states that RAID is also beneficial for single HDs. But the tech guy says switch it so I do and change it from RAID. Some progress.
MY BAD, I have been trying to install the older version of Windows, no service pack and the MB apparently doesn't like vintage programs.
So I install an updated version of Windows,,, and here I am writing this message to you on my new, very sleek and powerful computer. 500G - that ought to hold me over until, well, I die. Yeah!!

I am a computer geektress,, NOT, just really lucky to get some good advice.
thanks.

Edited by JustaMom, 20 May 2008 - 10:22 PM.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Awesome!!:)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Good to hear :).