Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd drive freezes computer

• Please log in to reply

tuba

tuba

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an annoying problem with my CD drive (Dell Diminsion 2400.) When I insert a music cd, the computer tends to freeze up and requires rebooting. So far I have:
- reinstalled drivers (worked for a while, then didn't)
- updated drivers (same)
- removed the "musicmatch" software that automatically started up when the the cd was inserted (same)
- scanned everything using the Dell diagnostic disk, Dell online hardware scan, as well as did some things that I don't remember (following tech support instructions over the phone)
- disabled anti-virus software (this also seemed to work for a while, but didn't seem like a long term solution.)

The problem seemed to start when I tried playing a disk that appeared to have it's own music player software, which I later removed.

Also, my anitivrus software does indicate that it found a "Bloodhound.Exploit.20" that it did not/could not repair...

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Advertisements