Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trouble booting with my W98 Aptiva.

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Some times I boot to a disarranged desktop (not like the way I used to have it) with an ever-active hourglass and an inability to activate ANY icons.

Other times I boot to the same disarranged desktop but with no hourglass and no ability to activate any icons.

Other times I boot to this error message

“Windows: A fatal exception OE has occurred at 015F: BFF9DBA7. The current application will be terminated.” and the only action I can take thereafter is to Power OFF.

If I click F8 during startup and select Safe Mode I find I can activate WORD, Settings, Control Panel, etc.

. What does”OE” in the error message mean? Does that address (015F etc) tell you what the trouble might be? I would certainly appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
With a ten year old computer you may well have a failing hard drive. Especially if there isn't enough memory in the machine. You need at least 128mb to run win98se with full updates and added programs. I would boot into safe mode and then restart the computer in ms-dos, or you can use a win98 boot floppy to get to ms-dos mode. When you're in ms-dos mode start scandisk, it will run faster than in Windows and give you a graphical view of the hard drive's condition. After you've run scandisk and checked the log, reboot into safe mode and run the file system checker, just open the run box and enter fsc, then after that run the defragmenter, also in safe mode. You will also have dignostic tools you can use to check the hard drive, IBM will have one, it will now be on the Lenovo website which has all the IBM home computer info..

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Tyger: Thanks. I'll follow through.