Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google msg keeps popping up in IE7

• Please log in to reply

sl962

sl962

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I have been getting redirected to a page (google) that looks like this:

Did you mean: http://fls.doublecli...66795590612.744?
Your search - http://fls.doublecli...66795590612.744? - did not match any documents

The actual message varies after "Did you mean:" and has to do with images (I think).
This started out of the blue a couple weeks ago and is happening frequently when I go to web pages. Sometimes from my favorites, or from other sites ect… I understand the message but find it odd that all of the sudden SO MANY web sites are loading with bad links. At times I can’t even click the back button and have to close IE and start over. Almost every time I do that I don’t get that message again. I have uninstalled ALL THINGS GOOGLE to no avail. Does this have something to do with why my internet has become so slow?? I have Qwest DSL and when I run speed tests they are never below 4200mbps down / 700mbps up. Can somebody give me a clue?
I've deleted cookies, cache ect from IE and have run a battery of spy/malware and am protected by AVG 8.0, updated and scaned (full system) daily.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get hosts.zip here...instructions are here...

sl962

sl962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thanx Happy...
Downloaded hosts zip file, got it installed (checked old one, and checked new), rebooted, checked to see that new hosts file was still there, went on-line and when I tried to open geeks to go (twice) I got this msg: Your search - http://pagead2.googl...494067626122848 - did not match any documents.

Had to restart IE and stop the download as soon as I saw the login icon so I could get here. Any other sugestions??

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Had to restart IE and stop the download as soon as I saw the login icon so I could get here

what download...explain this...
what do you get when you click on this...

sl962

sl962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
The download I was talking about is the geeks to go web page loading. When I clicked the link you sent it brought me to this reply page.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, index.dat etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you...Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Click on CCleaner to start it....
Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

sl962

sl962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I can go to the cc cleaner site but when I try to go to the download page I get this #%@$ google page after it starts loading:

Your search - http://pagead2.googl...458936876025707 - did not match any documents.

I have also run ATF Cleaner, Malwarebytes and Super AntiSpy. I am really Frustrated :)

sl962

sl962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I was able to download CCleaner from cnet and ran it as per your instructions. This seems to have worked :)
Thanx for all your help. I'll let you know if the problem pops up again

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :)

sl962

sl962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Spoke too soon. Just happened again. Still looking for options, or do I just reformat my drives and start over (weekend project).

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sounds like you may have a browser hijacker...

Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...
if they give you the all clean and your still having problems post back here..

sl962

sl962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I've run all the scans with the exception of Outerinfo. When I try to go to the site to download all I get is a blank page. When I tried to go to their home page (www.outerinfo.com) I get a google images page and can't seem to get past that.

Edited by sl962, 22 May 2008 - 10:06 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get a screenshot in your add/remove programs in the control panel...make sure its the section showing programs starting with the letter g...
please edit your last post and delete those logs...they are only to be posted in the malware forum...thanks

Edited by happyrck, 22 May 2008 - 09:48 AM.

sl962

sl962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Here is the screen shot requested...

[attachment=20972:ContPanel.JPG]

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
TRY THIS...
click on start...run..type in ...cmd...press enter or click on OK...in the dos box type in ipconfig /flushdns then press enter..
be sure you put a space between ipconfig and the /
type in exit
reboot

also this..
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....click OK..to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter