Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Suggestions/comments on these parts.

• Please log in to reply

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
How about this Mushkin RAM then?

Advertisements

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
kamille316,
Thanks. Just ordered it.
Enjoy the weekend.
jst42day

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I disagree with James on the RAM. I find Patriot memory to be very cool, and it typically doesn't require the full 2.2V to run at stock settings. I have the exact same RAM, except in 1GB sticks, and they handle stock speeds at 2.0V. However, even at 2.2V (which I have them on because I overclock), they've lasted me over a year and have shown no signs of overheating.

It's all about the luck of the draw and many sticks will require 2.2V. This voltage is VERY high for stock settings and IMO should not be recommended. For DDR2 it's reaching a red zone and any higher will require active cooling, failure to do so will result in a phenomenon called electromigration. That being said, why suggest RAM that requires higher voltages when there are other kits out there that have much lower voltages and should generally last longer. Similar to our discussions regarding your PSU, just because it currently works, doesn't mean that it'll work well in the long term. Because the patriot memory requires a much higher voltage, it's more susceptible to error. In addition, generally lower voltages at stock settings (assuming the frequency is high and timings are tight) are more attractive to overclockers as it gives us much more head room to work with in gaining greater performance.

jst42day, good choice :)
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 May 2008 - 03:37 PM.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
James,
That's the stuff that was driving me crazy.
I ordered the Mushkin Kamille suggested.
Enjoy.
jst42day (it's all we've got)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You'll be happy with that Mushkin set, I got it for my parents. I have Mushkin's highest end 4GB kit, the Mushkin Redlines. I love the stuff due to the lower voltages and great performance, I'm really hopping other memory manufactures follow Mushkin's lead as I've been seeing lots of issues with higher voltage RAM, primarily the Crucial Ballistix.
James