Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What happens when you try to install Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I was wondering what would happen if you tried to install Windows XP through an OEM disk on another computer than the one specified? This is just a hypothetical question but I would like to know why it wouldn't work and if you could get around it?

Advertisements

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Well I think, I havent done this, but I think that if you put the Cd in a computer not specified for it would say something like

"This CD is only to be used with HP* or Dell* or Acer* Computers. Please run this on a HP* or Dell* or Acer* Computer."

Its just like when you try to run a XBOX 360 game on a PS3. It says please run this on a XBOX 360.

I honestly dont if there is a work around. Sorry.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It depends on the exact OEM cd that you have. I have been using a DELL OEM cd to reinstall the operating system on many different computers. It works just fine this way, but i cant use it to register XP for a new computer because it has already been used to do this.

I also have some H-P, Compaq, and a few off brand oem CD's that will not let you use them on anything other than the same brand of computer. Also some of these oem CD's are so specific that they will only install on one particular model of computer.

So, what do i buy? I get the OEM cd's from Newegg, tiger direct, and other stores . Thes oem CD's are not specific so they can install on any computer you want. You still only get to use them once for a single computer unless you call Microsoft and explain that you junked the old computer and am using the CD on a new build. Microsoft has let me do this up to 3 times per CD. Once they only let me do it one time before telling me i had to buy a new one, so you never know about that.

It depends on the manufacturer as to what they put on the oem CD to stop you from using it on other computers.

SRX660