Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Flash_disinfector.cmd virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Geezeroo

Geezeroo

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I did a flash disinfector clean using the hyperlink provided by Greyknight17 back in April of 2008 and it went well without any problems. I clicked the hyperlink and "ran the program" which cleaned very well as my computer ran much faster afterwards.

Yesterday, I decided to click the same hyperlink to run another flash disinfect and this time, my norton antivirus came on screen and notified me that I attempted to download a W32.silly FDC Flash_disinfector.cmd which is a virus and deleted this file from the temp file. I tried it again today and the same message occurred. I don't know why when I ran the flash_disinfector.exe, there was a problem with flash_disinfector.cmd problem.

Can someone please tell me if the hyperlink to http://download.blee...Disinfector.exe is corrupted and should not be used from now on.

Also, if norton cleaned it up, do i still have to make sure and run combofix. I did a Kapersky and norton full scan and found no problems. I also ran spybot and AVG spyware sweep and found no problems.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

steamwiz

steamwiz

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 68 posts
  • MVP
Hi

I can guarantee there is nothing wrong with the files at the end of that link :)

It's a false positive by Norton ...

If you want to run the Flash disinfector, then disable Norton first, but do you need to run it ?... what problems do you have ?

steam

Geezeroo

Geezeroo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I just thought running flash disinfector from time to time is a safe thing to do. Glad to hear the source link is clean and ok to use. Guess I am just paranoid about malaware these days. If it is unnecessary to run it from time to time like AVG scans, I won't bother.

I'm glad it is just a false reading from Norton.

Thanks for the reassurance and your help.

Consider this post closed. Thanks again.

steamwiz

steamwiz

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 68 posts
  • MVP
Hi

That's OK ... it wont do any harm running it, if there is no infection, But I wouldn't keep running it unless you think you are infected.

I'll lock this thread now at your suggestion, send me a PM if you want it re-opening.

steam