Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pclinuxos

• Please log in to reply

trucker

trucker

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
Ive been going nutso here ive got this laptop and so far i cant get what i want to work. Ive been using ubuntu 7.10 when i put it on this gateway i had wireless but no sound. put in ubuntu 8.04 had sound but no wireless.
Then i started looking at other distro's PClinuxOS . I have the 2007 KDE ver 3.5.9 release 2.6.18.8.tex5.
I really like this setup so i need to get this worked out.
I think i know what needs to be done just not sure how to get it done.

Post ive read say i need to install the alsa driver 1.0.15rc and a patch
theres where i fall short first when i get to the alsa page i dont see this rc driver I know what RC means so is the 1.0.16 driver the fix? if so ive got that one installed but not the patch its on my desktop

heres the dir i found to fix this

Here's what you need to do to get sound if you have this chipset:
1. uninstall every alsa package if you have any
rpm -qa | grep -i alsa - if it shows nothing skip this step
and then
rpm -evv --nodeps alsa-... for every package

2. go to www.alsa-project.org and download these files :
alsa-driver-1.0.15rc1.tar.bz2
alsa-lib-1.0.15rc1.tar.bz2
.alsa-utils-1.0.15rc1.tar.bz2

Open a terminal and type : su then make a directory called alsa into /usr/local/src. Copy the files to this directory and unpack them (tar xjvf alsa-... for every file).

3. go to https://bugtrack.als...iew.php?id=3036 and download the file patch_sigmatel.c.patch-1.0.15rc1-simple. Copy the patch to /usr/local/src/alsa.

4. type this :
patch alsa-driver-1.0.15rc1/alsa-kernel/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c < patch_sigmatel.c.patch-1.0.15rc1-simple.

5. do this:
cd alsa-lib-1.0.15rc1/
./configure && make && make install
cd ../alsa-utils-1.0.15rc1/
cd ../alsa-driver-1.0.15rc1/

If the configure script complains about missing some libraries yum for them and try again.

6. reboot
7. after rebooting volume may be muted so use kmix or some other mixer to enable it.

(the guy that lead me to this has the same hardware as i have so this should work)

This OS has alot of handbooks ill be reading them I really want to learn this distro looks fun and after i saw the post by silverbeard can windows do this I WANT MINE TO DO THAT TO
LOL

Edited by trucker, 22 May 2008 - 06:27 AM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
PCLinuxOS is a rolling upgrade release which means to have the latest version with all the drivers, ect., you have to upgrade the system via the Synaptic package manager. First change from the default repository to one nearer you for best speed. For obvious reasons the default one is overworked. Then renew the listing. Then choose "Mark all upgrades", there will be about an 800mb download, so you need some speed here. If your connection isn't up to par you might want to save the packages do disk, you can check the box for that. That way if you lose the connection you can restart the download without losing what you have.

Also you should upgrade your kernel, that is a separate operation. The later kernels have more drivers so just doing that may help get your sound. But all the upgrades, including the kernel, work together, so do the full upgrade to avoid problems.

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
Ive done a fresh install here and reload and updated the synaptic. want to get advice before i do anything else. Ive been told to update the kernel so far every kernel ive tried to update to wont boot. i see some are for AMD thats what this is. guess what I need to know is if ive put in a diff kernel before i try the AMD will this break the system? on the last install i did try the AMD kernels they all started to boot got to the curser and pc froze up had to power off and restart

Edited by trucker, 22 May 2008 - 06:13 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
To get the new kernels to boot you have to use the Admin Center to redo the boot loader. After you boot from the new kernel it will take a bit longer the first time to install any modules that have been added so be patient.

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
I looked at that not sure what if anything i should change. the kernel is in the grub but the pc locks at enable the linux swap line. i will go thru this again and dbl ck

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
ok heres where im at i had to turn off the acpi to get these to boot at all kernel 2.6.22.17.tex2 and 2.6.22.17.tex.k8l they both booted to the decktop and had the Kmix controls but thats all the had mixer was now there and could be adjusted but there was still on sound. and now I couldnt get the wireless to work using the windows driver and ndiswrapper. so i went to the hardwire and during boot to root it stops me with a popup /root/.ICEauthority

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
got it at last i had to install Kubuntu 8.04 sound works with that and used ndiswrapper and the windows xp driver for this wireless card works fine

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
A shame you couldn't get PCLinux to work for you. The latest *buntu is the first one I've gotten to stay stable since 6.06. It should be a good platform for you. The *buntu forums have the best support out there for linux. I still like SimplyMepis 7.0, the 64bit version had the ndiswrapper already set up for my Broadcom card and it worked out of the box.

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

A shame you couldn't get PCLinux to work for you. The latest *buntu is the first one I've gotten to stay stable since 6.06. It should be a good platform for you. The *buntu forums have the best support out there for linux. I still like SimplyMepis 7.0, the 64bit version had the ndiswrapper already set up for my Broadcom card and it worked out of the box.

well im still looking ive had ubuntu on this pc over a yr started with 7.04 and then 7.10 got 8.04 now never had any problems with it does what I want it to just a bit ugly is all. but i have put the PCLinux on the wifes laptop. and im going to see how SimplyMepis will look on this gateway I have. they should have named it Gatesway.

One other thing do you know if there is support for wireless with the cell towers, in trucking that is the best way to get on line ( think ndiswrapper would work?)

Edited by trucker, 25 May 2008 - 06:15 AM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I found a thread at Broadband Reports about Wireless providers equipment that works with Linux. As mentioned in the thread Sierra Wireless has some support. How do you feel about AT&T?

Advertisements

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

I found a thread at Broadband Reports about Wireless providers equipment that works with Linux. As mentioned in the thread Sierra Wireless has some support. How do you feel about AT&T?

thats fine got togo where you can i guess

ive installed the mepis and updated the synaptic I had sound on first boot but its gone now. still dont see a wireless network yet

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
The network assistant in System/ Mepis shouldget it up and going. by default its set to manual. I set mine to automatic and turn on Knemo in the control center.

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
ive fixed the sound but still working on the driver for the wireless i had to use the netr8185 xp driver last time i got it to work with kubuntu.... just dont see that install windows driver thingy on this distro

Edited by trucker, 25 May 2008 - 03:47 PM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
It's in the 32bit in /etc/ndiswrapper/net8185. It may be a matter of which .conf file

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
ok got 64 bit driver heres what i have
Lonnie@mepis1:~/Desktop/WinX64/WinX64$ su
Password:
root@mepis1:/home/Lonnie/Desktop/WinX64/WinX64# ndiswrapper -i
install/manage Windows drivers for ndiswrapper

usage: ndiswrapper OPTION
-i inffile install driver described by 'inffile'
-a devid driver use installed 'driver' for 'devid' (dangerous)
-r driver remove 'driver'
-l list installed drivers
-m write configuration for modprobe
-ma write module alias configuration for all devices
-mi write module install configuration for all devices
-v report version information

where 'devid' is either PCIID or USBID of the form XXXX:XXXX,
as reported by 'lspci -n' or 'lsusb' for the card
root@mepis1:/home/Lonnie/Desktop/WinX64/WinX64# ndiswrapper -i net8185x64.inf
installing net8185x64 ...
root@mepis1:/home/Lonnie/Desktop/WinX64/WinX64# ndiswrapper -l
net8185x64 : driver installed
device (10EC:8185) present
root@mepis1:/home/Lonnie/Desktop/WinX64/WinX64# lsmod
Module Size Used by
binfmt_misc 11020 1
cpufreq_ondemand 8464 1
cpufreq_userspace 5152 0
cpufreq_powersave 3072 0
powernow_k8 13280 0
freq_table 5184 2 cpufreq_ondemand,powernow_k8
rfcomm 36776 0
hidp 18304 2
hid 26112 1 hidp
l2cap 22144 10 rfcomm,hidp
bluetooth 49796 5 rfcomm,hidp,l2cap
ipv6 257512 8
ppdev 8840 0
parport_pc 34984 0
lp 11848 0
parport 35596 3 ppdev,parport_pc,lp
thermal 13968 0
fan 5768 0
button 8352 0
processor 30216 2 powernow_k8,thermal
ac 5896 0
battery 10632 0
xt_tcpudp 4608 95
xt_limit 4096 2
nf_conntrack_ipv4 16912 66
xt_state 3584 66
ipt_LOG 7168 2
ipt_REJECT 5248 2
nf_conntrack_ftp 10336 0
nf_conntrack_irc 7840 0
nf_conntrack 59612 4 nf_conntrack_ipv4,xt_state,nf_conntrack_ftp,nf_conntrack_irc
nfnetlink 6344 2 nf_conntrack_ipv4,nf_conntrack
iptable_filter 3968 1
ip_tables 17704 1 iptable_filter
x_tables 16392 6 xt_tcpudp,xt_limit,xt_state,ipt_LOG,ipt_REJECT,ip_tables
amd74xx 16048 0 [permanent]
ide_core 127120 1 amd74xx
fuse 41776 1
dm_crypt 12432 0
dm_snapshot 15968 0
dm_mirror 19840 0
dm_mod 51440 3 dm_crypt,dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
joydev 10496 0
snd_hda_intel 352168 1
snd_pcm_oss 39840 0
snd_mixer_oss 16256 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 74888 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 21256 1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc 9744 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_hwdep 9224 1 snd_hda_intel
snd 53608 8 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep
psmouse 39964 0
pcspkr 4096 0
serio_raw 7172 0
k8temp 6272 0
ohci_hcd 20356 0
i2c_nforce2 6528 0
forcedeth 45576 0
soundcore 8352 1 snd
i2c_core 22656 1 i2c_nforce2
evdev 9984 5
root@mepis1:/home/Lonnie/Desktop/WinX64/WinX64# ndiswrapper -m
adding "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" to /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper ...
root@mepis1:/home/Lonnie/Desktop/WinX64/WinX64# ndiswrapper -mi
module configuration information is stored in /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
root@mepis1:/home/Lonnie/Desktop/WinX64/WinX64# ndiswrapper -ma
module configuration information is stored in /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
root@mepis1:/home/Lonnie/Desktop/WinX64/WinX64# ndiswrapper -v
utils version: '1.9', utils version needed by module: '1.9'
module details:
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.22-1-mepis64-smp/misc/ndiswrapper.ko
version: 1.47
vermagic: 2.6.22-1-mepis64-smp SMP preempt mod_unload
root@mepis1:/home/Lonnie/Desktop/WinX64/WinX64# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

root@mepis1:/home/Lonnie/Desktop/WinX64/WinX64#

am i missing something here? or is this still the wrong driver?
I do have 2 netgear usb wifi nic's
wg111.v2
wpn111
prob should change this thread too PCLOS sound is kinda off :)

Edited by trucker, 26 May 2008 - 04:53 PM.