Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer running very poorly! [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

racinmason001

racinmason001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I did the java download and it says I have the lataest version of java and I'm in the process of doing the internet explorer reinstall I hope it helps.

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I'm not sure about Limewire, but I think it may be some compatibilty issues and definitely not malware related. How did the IE download go?

racinmason001

racinmason001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
the internet explorer install keeps freezing I dont know whats going on.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Have you tried installing it in Safe Mode?

racinmason001

racinmason001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
In safe mode the setup says that the windows installer cannot be accessed.If I did a whole system restore do you think I would get infected again.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I don't know that System Restore is the best option, because yes you could be infected again. If you choose to restore, make sure to restore WAY, WAY before you remember first noticing the infection because you do not want those worms/trojans/spyware again.

racinmason001

racinmason001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I'm talking about using the restore disk it erases the hard drive and restores the computer to factory stock.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Well you said system restore, so you can see where I got confused huh? lol

If you decide to use the restore disk, I will give you all of my recommendations to keep your computer from getting infected again.

The absolute first step is enabling the firewall and getting XP Service Pack 2 immediately afterwards.

racinmason001

racinmason001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
ok thats what I will do and I will let you know how it goes

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I certainly hope everything goes smoothly for you!!

Here are all of my recommendations:

Ewido Security Suite <= Protection against Trojans, Worms, Dialers, Hijackers, Spyware, and Keyloggers.

CleanUp! <= to clear your temporary files periodically to clear out items that may hide in their as well as free some disk space.

ActiveScan<= To check your system periodically for viruses that may not be picked up by your in-system virus-scan.

Detect and Remove Programs:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
Prevention Programs:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
Other necessary Programs:
  • AntiVirus Program<= An AntiVirus program is a must! Whether it is a free version like AVG or Anti-Vir, or a shareware version like Norton or Kapersky, this is a must have.

Advertisements

racinmason001

racinmason001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
could you post the link to windows xp service pack 2 all I can find is the pack for it professionals or developers.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Click on "Express Install". This will scan your computer for the security updates it needs. Choose Service pack 2. After restoring your computer, do not browse around on the Internet, just go directly to Microsoft to download the Service Pack.

racinmason001

racinmason001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
well bad news I do not know if I'm infected but I cant get sp2 and norton will not respond I did get to update it and it keeps removing a virus.I am running panda active scan and trying to download hijackthis so i will let you how that goes.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Try Service Pack 1a:

http://www.microsoft...p1/default.mspx

You definitely need a service pack otherwise your system is extremely vulnerable just being on the Internet like you are now.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Definitely do not use Limewise while we're trying to clean your system otherwise it'll be a lost cause because your system will continue to pick up infections.