Computer running very poorly! [RESOLVED]
Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:55 PM
Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:19 AM
Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:40 PM
Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:19 PM
Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:33 PM
Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:39 PM
Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:49 PM
If you decide to use the restore disk, I will give you all of my recommendations to keep your computer from getting infected again.
The absolute first step is enabling the firewall and getting XP Service Pack 2 immediately afterwards.
Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:58 PM
Here are all of my recommendations:
Ewido Security Suite <= Protection against Trojans, Worms, Dialers, Hijackers, Spyware, and Keyloggers.
CleanUp! <= to clear your temporary files periodically to clear out items that may hide in their as well as free some disk space.
ActiveScan<= To check your system periodically for viruses that may not be picked up by your in-system virus-scan.
Detect and Remove Programs:
- How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
- How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
- Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
- Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
- MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
- Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
- AntiVirus Program<= An AntiVirus program is a must! Whether it is a free version like AVG or Anti-Vir, or a shareware version like Norton or Kapersky, this is a must have.
Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:35 PM
Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:00 PM
Click on "Express Install". This will scan your computer for the security updates it needs. Choose Service pack 2. After restoring your computer, do not browse around on the Internet, just go directly to Microsoft to download the Service Pack.
Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:38 PM
Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:07 PM
You definitely need a service pack otherwise your system is extremely vulnerable just being on the Internet like you are now.
Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:09 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users