Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! 007guard.com/404 [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
From a malware point of view your PC is clean, the issue above sounds more like a dying harddrive, in which case you will want to make backups of your important files - I still suggest you head over to the Operating System forums and post the error there, since I probably won't be of much help :)

The below steps have some important tips on how to stay safe and keep up-to-date, so be sure to read it!

Step 1. Flushing old Restore Points and creating a new one

Right-click on "My Computer." The "System Properties" dialogue box will appear, showing a number of tabs. From here you can reset System Restore and configure Automatic Updates.

First, click the System Restore tab.

* Check the box beside "Turn off System Restore"
* Click "Apply"
* At the prompt, click "Yes"

Wait while your system deletes existing Restore Points, this may take a few moments.

* Uncheck the box beside "Turn off System Restore"
* Click "Apply"
* At the prompt, click "Yes"

Your system will now create a new Restore Point.

Step 2. Configuring Automatic Updates

Click the Automatic Updates tab. Choose the update option that best suits your needs, but be sure that Automatic Updates is not turned off. Windows XP will now notify you and download important updates and security patches as they become available.
Click "OK" to save your new settings and close the System Properties dialogue.

Step 3. Preventing future infection

Below I have included a number of recommendations for how to protect your computer in order to prevent future malware infections. Please take these recommendations seriously; these few simple steps can stave off the vast majority of spyware problems.

In order to protect yourself against spyware, you should consider installing and running the following free programs:

SpywareBlaster
A tutorial on using SpywareBlaster to prevent spyware from ever installing on your computer may be found here.

IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
http://www.spywarewa...uc/resource.htm

Make sure to keep these programs up-to-date and to run them regularly, as this can prevent a great deal of spyware hassle.

Please consider using an alternate browser. Mozilla's Firefox browser is fantastic; it is much more secure than Internet Explorer, immune to almost all known browser hijackers, and also has the best built-in popup blocker (as an added benefit!) that I have ever seen. If you are interested, Firefox may be downloaded from here:
http://www.mozilla.o...oducts/firefox/

Also make sure to run your antivirus software regularly, and to keep it up-to-date.

There are many programs that can be used for your protection, most falling within the three main categories of anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall. Please be careful to never run more than one program of the same category in resident mode, as conflicts between the different programs can actually decrease your protection.

Please also read Tony Klein's excellent article: How I got Infected in the First Place

Hopefully this should take care of your problems! Good luck. :)

Please post back and tell me if everything is OK, so that I may mark this thread as Resolved.

Edited by Mike, 28 June 2008 - 07:53 AM.

Advertisements

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.