Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus? Spyware?[CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

S928

S928

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A few days ago my computer became infected with popups from Aurora. Besides the ads being annoying and appearing every few seconds, I try closing them out. However, sometimes my computer just freezes and nothing will unfreeze it so I have to manually power it off (which I'm sure isn't a smart thing to do). What should I do? Where do I start? Is this a virus or spyware? I'm totally clueless and I feel so upset. HELP! :tazz:

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hi there! My name is Kathie, but please call me Kat! I will help you get cleaned back up and on the go! And at the end, I'll show you how you can stay that way! ;) Please don't be upset and frustrated. Two years ago, I was a user just like yourself who was infected and couldn't fix things. It may seem daunting, but we will get you fixed up and good as new, I promise! :tazz:

There are a few things I need you to do to get us started! You may want to print these instructions, or save them to a Notepad file on your desktop until we are done!

1. Please download the latest version of Ad-aware(Ad-aware SE 1.05) If you're using an older version (or don’t have AdAware yet), download Ad-aware SE Personal 1.05 and install it.

Before scanning with Ad-aware SE Free:
Run a FULL adaware scan using the following configuration below
  • Update
    • Select Check for updates.
    • Then Connect and download SE1R28 16.02.2005 .
  • Click Start
  • Select Perform Full System Scan and hit Next to let Ad-Aware scan your drives.
  • It will list malware files and registry keys. Click Next.
  • Under the Critical Objects tab, rightclick in the list, choose Select All, then Next.
  • It will ask for verification of checked items-. Choose OK.
  • Close Ad-Aware, Shut down and reboot your system.
2. Download and Install Spybot S&D, accepting the Default Settings
(Please ensure you have version 1.3 final.)
Home - The home of Spybot-S&D!: http://www.safer-networking.org/
Here is a nice Tutorial http://www.safer-net...p?page=tutorial
  • Go to Start > Programs >Spybot Search & Destroy and choose 'Spybot S&D'
  • Close ALL windows except Spybot S&D
  • Click the button 'Search for Updates' and download and install the Updates.
  • Next click the button 'Check for Problems'
  • When Spybot is complete, it will be showing 'RED' entries BLACK entries and GREEN entries in the window
  • Make sure there is a check mark beside the RED entries ONLY.
  • Choose Fix Selected Problems and allow Spybot to fix the RED entries.
  • REBOOT
3. Please run the following online free virus scan. This is a bit of a "slow" scan to run, but is WELL worth it!
RAV online scan<<<Add a check by 'Autoclean', leave everything else as is.

4. Download HijackThis

Save HijackThis in its own folder (i.e. C:\HJT). DO NOT run it from within a zip manager (Winzip), as no backups will be saved.

Double Click to open HijackThis, and then click the "Scan and Save Log" button on the left. When it is finished scanning, the results will open automatically in Notepad. Copy and paste the ENTIRE scan result here in a reply to this thread for me to see, and we will go from there to get you cleaned up!

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with address of this thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.