Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

msconfig won't open

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi, Having a problem with msconfig. When I go to open it I get the "sorry we had to close, send error report box" and not enough details to help and no response back from microsoft. Any ideas to what I might need to do?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download and install msconfig for window 2000 (xp version) from here.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thank you. I downloaded and run msconfig and closed what I needed to. The problem is I still cannot run msconfig from the run command. I get the same box "sorry----------" I quess there is a problem with the registry. I will look fo some edits I can do as a repair or I might just do a repair install with my XP CD. Thanks for the link

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I tried a repair install and it stoped because numerous Dll problems. Most said " sasrv.ddl not signed properly, netapi32.dll not sighned properly and more and more.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You gave us very little information to work with. It looks like there are many problems other then the msconfig. Please post your topic in the malware forum (a link in my list of links below). Take all the preliminary steps. After the helpers from the malware forum confirm that the computer is clean, and if the problem persists, post back in this forum. It may take some time because they are quite busy there.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks, I did a repair recovery with the recovery partition and got everything back in order. I had a few programs that had to be patched but I had no data loss. I will run Hijackthis and look over the entry. I will also run some other malware test to make sure it is clean. Thanks for your very welcomed help as always at this fine forum. Picky

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You are welcome.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
One more question. When you tell the pc to restart but you have to turn it off to restart is there a command change for that. When a program tells you it has to restart for changes to take place the pc will try to restarted but stops right after posting. You have to power down the tower and start it with the power button.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It shouldn't be like that. The computer must restart normally, maybe somewhat slower at the first restart, due to to process related to installation completion. If it doesn't and needs to be force shut, there is a problem with the installation.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
After the installation it was fine. It was after updates that it started. I do let it shut down, After you press restart it shuts down and tries to restart. It stall at the restart, you can see the monitor go from green to amber. What I do is hold the power button in for 5 seconds and let it shut down and then restart. I will do this until I find a resolution. thanks

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What updates are these. Are they so important? Please let us know.

Force shutting a computer, as you do, can cause serious damage to the hard disk, operating system and other parts.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
all updates were SP3. I can't call this force shut down. The computer has already stopped at the beginning of the restart. There is no hard drive activity at all. I simply shut her down like you did in the old days when the message said : your computer is now ready to shut down". I make sure that there is no activity going on.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you tell us what CPU you have in your computer? AMD CPUs have problems with sp-3.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
AMD

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
That's unfortunate. I know that Microsoft plans to fix the problem but as far as I know it's not available yet. Can you uninstall SP-3 through ADD/REMOVE programs? If yes, try that.