Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A few questions about a computer configuration/build.

• Please log in to reply

Wuppie

Wuppie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm looking for a high performance computer with a mid-end video card and it needs to run very very silent (my current computer is suppose to be silent but I still wake up and ripping the powerplug out of the computer because it stresses me out)

Currently I have this planned:

Motherboard
XFX N790

Processor
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770

Processor cooling
Thermal Take Blue Orb II

Memory
OCZ 4 GB DDR3-1600 Kit

Video card
Either Asus/Gigabyte/MSI 9600GT Silent

Harddisk
2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TiB

Diskdrive
Anything that can read DvDs is fine.

Power Supply
Thermaltake Thoughpower 750W

Casing
Enermax Big Chakra (couldn't find anything better that I like, I'm picky)

Operating system
Vista x64

1. Do I really need a x64 operating system to 100% use 4GB memory?

2. Is the power supply good enough for this configuration? And how does Watt affect performance?

3. Is the power supply and processor cooler silent enough? Or is there anything better? (I kind of don't understand how water cooling works)

5. Is this whole configuration possible, or did I miss anything important? (No I don't want a [bleep] floppydrive)

6. Does the Blue Orb fit on the XFX N790 (the XFX N790 has a pretty big cooling wall)?

7. Before I decided to go for the XFX N790 I picked the Asus Striker Extreme II but it has a watercooling tower on the Northbridge, is this optional or not, and is there a comparison list of both?

8. Does the mid-end videocard bottleneck the performance of a high-end mobo/processor/memory?

I'm also having a bit of a dilemma with the QX9770

A lot of people claim you pay about 500$ just to get the pretty "Core 2 Extreme" sticker and that the QX9770 is hardly worth it because you can reach 1600MHz on a 45mm very fast (I honestly don't understand a thing of it)

I've tried Googling for a comparising list so I can compare the speed/performance of the QX9770 with something equal to it but it seems the QX9770 is so new it isn't on any list yet (or I used the wrong keywords in Google)

Thanks in advance and please don't break down too much of my configuration, I've been changing it for months now. :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, from what i can see you will NOT be able to use the blue orb. I have a blue orb on a regular intel 965 MB and the memory sticks barely clear the heatsink. I don't see how it will clear the XFX N790 MB stuff. I would look more into these heatsinks.

Zalman 9700
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118019

or a Zerotherm
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835887002

Second thing is unless you plan on doing major upgradesl ike adding SLI dual video cards, etc you really don't need much more than a 550 watt PS. I really like the quiet Nexus power supplies so here is what i would choose.

http://www.endpcnois...s_600_watt.html

If you really question that you need the extreme edition QX9770 then you don't. I don't think you will notice any large difference between the 9770 and a wolfdale 3.0 8400 CPU. $1500 CPU in a medium build computer is WAY TOO MUCH overkill.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115037

And YES you will need x64 Vista to be able to use 4 gigs of memory.

I just built a XFX 610i with a Q6600 cheap build computer and i love this rig. Total cost was right at $550, but i added a nexus 500 watt PS for another $110. Now all i can hear is the HD making noise as i like having the computer sitting on the desktop for easy access.

SRX660

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
See here for a list of the quietest CPU heatsinks. Surprisingly enough, the stock Core 2 heatsink is 4th quietest, so you may want to try that out first and see if it is quiet enough for you before buying a more expensive aftermarket heatsink. However, if you plan on overclocking, this will probably not be sufficient.

If you're not overclocking, there's absolutely no reason to get an Extreme Edition CPU. Even if you will be overclocking, I still agree with SRX660 that an E8400 or Q9450 would be a much better choice.

Will you be using SLI for intense gaming? If not, your motherboard is also very overkill. I'd look into something like this in that case.

And yes, the video card will only be the bottleneck if you are going to be doing some intense gaming.

Edited by stettybet0, 22 May 2008 - 03:32 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
In addition to what has already been stated, I strongly encourage you to take a second look at DDR2. In a performance perspective, most DDR3 kits (at stock settings) are no better then DDR2 kits, primarily due to the loose latencies.
James

Wuppie

Wuppie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm not planning on overclocking anything with this build.

However I have an "experimental backup plan" incase this build wouldn't work out that well.

What if I get a QX9650, a 1333 MHz motherboard with 1333MHz memory, and overclock the FSB to 1600 and add water cooling to it, is that possible without turning my computer into a timebomb?

For some reason my perfectionism wants me to have CPU, Mobo and memory run at the same MHz, it's just a bad habbit of mine.

And as for DDR2, are there any DDR2 motherboards that support the QX9650?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

For some reason my perfectionism wants me to have CPU, Mobo and memory run at the same MHz, it's just a bad habbit of mine.

You really, really, really do not want your CPU to be running at the same frequency as your RAM, you'd have to underclock your CPU to achieve this.

And as for DDR2, are there any DDR2 motherboards that support the QX9650?

There are ALOT, basically choose any P35 or X38 motherboard that supports DDR2, please note that a BIOS update may be required. Again, I highly suggest you do not buy an extreme edition CPU.

and overclock the FSB to 1600 and add water cooling to it, is that possible without turning my computer into a timebomb?

Easily possible, you wouldn't even need watercooling to achieve this.
James

Wuppie

Wuppie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

You really, really, really do not want your CPU to be running at the same frequency as your RAM, you'd have to underclock your CPU to achieve this.

Could you explain why? To my simple logic an entire system running at the same MHz seems to be the most efficient, but then again I'm no pro (hence the reason why I'm seeking help on this forum)

And what would be the best "combination" of Mhz? You've already said that the CPU MHz needs to be less than the memory's MHz, but what about the motherboard's MHz?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
It's as simple as the law of averages. A computer with 800mhz RAM and a 1333mhz FSB is faster than a computer with 800mhz RAM and an 800mhz FSB. (Assuming they both have the same RAM and CPU.)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Could you explain why? To my simple logic an entire system running at the same MHz seems to be the most efficient, but then again I'm no pro (hence the reason why I'm seeking help on this forum)

And what would be the best "combination" of Mhz? You've already said that the CPU MHz needs to be less than the memory's MHz, but what about the motherboard's MHz?

Simply put, the highest MHz each component can achieve is the best performance to get. There is no better "combination", high MHz > lower MHz. The CPU does not need to be slower then the memory, infact it should be much faster.
James