Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Doesn't act like it should

• Please log in to reply

daviiiiiiid

daviiiiiiid

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey, when i plug in some usb devices. now my computers say. Your device could perform faster! use a hi speed usb port. but it IS a hi speed usb 2.0 port and it always worked like that but now it just doesnt. anybody know why?

and.. is there a way to hide the recycle bin WITHOUT changing the regedit?

Advertisements

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
About the usb port, have you double-checked that your drivers are up-to-date for the usb controller? or have you changed anything like that recently that may have caused this change?

About the recycle bin, that one I do know. You can use TweakUI for that. Under the Desktop submenu, you can disable "My Computer" "My Documents" "Recycle bin" etc from showing up on your desktop.

Hope this helps.

daviiiiiiid

daviiiiiiid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
for the recycle bin I just decided to go in regedit and add something to make it disappear.

for the usb.. i havent done anything to it and just suddenly it started saying this since a few weeks

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
On the USB 2.0 problem, you have probably installed USB 1.1 drivers when you used a USB1.1 flash drive or similar that installed drivers with it. This can happen from using early USB 1 hardware. If they don't see the correct drivers to run the hardware , the device installs the correct hardware drivers from files on the device.

Microsoft did have a problem with this at one time.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;312370

What you are now looking for is Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI) USB drivers. Microsoft has been using the NEC USB 2.0 host controllers. What you can do is see if you can reset the drivers in device manager to the NEC 2.0 drivers.

The initial Windows XP USB 2.0 release (delivered through Windows Update and OEM preinstallation on new systems) supports only the following hardware IDs, belonging to the NEC USB 2.0 EHCI controller:

PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_00E0&REV_01

PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_00E0&REV_02

The NEC USB 2.0 host controller is the first EHCI controller to be certified by the USB EHCI testing body, and has been the only USB 2.0 controller available in the market during the initial Windows development effort for USB 2.0.

How to obtain and install USB 2.0 drivers.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329632

Also USBman has a page of fixes for different controllers.

http://www.usbman.co...E USB Guide.htm

SRX660