Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSN shuts down when attempt to use online calculators

• Please log in to reply

Rainey777417

Rainey777417

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
HI! MSN TROUBLE!
Frustrating problem been going on forever, it seems!
Running WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION

Every time I begin to use a MORTGAGE CALCULATOR, and some other forms online...MSN shuts down and gives the following copied message: :)

Problem caused by MSN: consider upgrading

This problem was caused by MSN, which was created by Microsoft Corporation.

There is no solution for this problem at this time. However, your computer is missing updates that can help improve its stability and security.

Recommendation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go online to the Microsoft Corporation website to download the MSN update:

Microsoft Corporation

When I do so, it does not recognize my hotmail Email Acct. and password, even if I change it---
THEN---It tries to sell me an MSN UPGRADE, assuming I'm not subscribed to MSN.???

I am set up for AUTOMATIC UPDATES...so I don't understand why I get this message in
the first place.

I manually downloaded a few updates for XP, just now...but have no idea if they will help.
Thought I'd better ask before putting too much junk in here that I don't need.

Please enlighten me if you can. Thanks! :)

Edited by Rainey777417, 21 May 2008 - 08:46 AM.

Advertisements

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi Rainey777417

Even although you are set to receive automatic updates for Windows, it only automatically downloads those that are deemed as High Priority. Therefore, if you go to the Windows Update Site, which is done by going to Start ==> All Programs ==> Windows Update (this is located up the top of the all programs menu). When the page loads, you want to select the "Custom" option of updates. Download all updated that are listed.

When you say MSN shuts down, do you mean MSN messenger or MSN explorer? If it is MSN explorer, it could just be that it is missing a plug-in for it. Maybe try either installing Internet Explorer 7, available from http://www.microsoft.com or you could download Mozilla Firefox as an alternative web browser.

If you don't have any joy, post a link to the site you are using and I will try and run it from my own computer and see if I have any luck with it.